Lycos Mail and OS X Mail Application help?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by blueflame, Feb 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I just got lycos mail, so I could send large files, I cannot fir the life of me get it to work with my Mail app in OS X.

any suggestions or details step by step? lycos help is useless.
    I feel like I have all the right settings and just cannot get it.

pop.lycos.com
    smtp.lycos.com
    email@lycos.com
    password

use ssl
    password authentication

i feel like an idiot.

2. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

First, are you using the free or the paid version? Like Yahoo, Lycos mail doesn't support POP access for free accounts.

If you're using the paid version that supports it, the correct settings appear to be:

Code:
    pop.mail.lycos.com
    smtp.mail.lycos.com
    youremail@lycos.com
    password
    jW

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I am using the paid version, but I still cannot seem to get it to work, it just always has that triangle sign next to the inbox

4. macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Do you have Lycos mail setup on your iPhone(if you have one)? I have that issue with Yahoo! mail before. If I was in mail on my iPhone I couldn't pull new mail. Out of habit, I close out of mail on my iPhone when i'm at home so I can check on my iMac.

5. macrumors 6502a

Their help is sketchy at best.
    Here's the link: https://help.lycos.com/kb_cat.php?id=131#2002-EPJX-8466

Synopsis: They recommend using IMAP, but the instructions to set up an iPhone are using POP - hmmm...
    in the iPhone instructions they say to turn SSL OFF, but in the outlook instructions, they say that you can optionally use SSL - again, this makes my go hmmmm...

They don't have explicit instructions for mail.app, but they do have them for Outlook 2003(????). In this case, they are using IMAP rather than POP, but I think the key setting is that they set the incoming server port to 143. IIRC, 143 is the default IMAP port, but 443 is the Secure IMAP port.

If you turn off SSL, it may work...

Hope that helps.