Lynksis Print Server or Apple AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by boneca, Feb 15, 2005.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

I'm pretty much looking to have print server to connect my printer to it. They pretty much in the same range. The AirPort will give you more options I think.
    What's better option?

TAIA

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Price difference? What do you run the rest of your network on?

The Express gives you a few more options in the future as far as music etc goes. That's what I went with.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If the prices are similar, go for the airport express. The ability to stream iTMS songs to a stereo is awesome. I'm about to buy a second Airport Express for my kitchen.

OTOH, many people have used the linksys products and are perfectly happy with them. Sometimes it's a bit of a hack to get certain features to work with a Mac. I just saw a Linksys print server for about $90, so you might be able to save a bit of cash by going that route.

5. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

The difference in price is about $30 more for AirPort. Lynksis about $100 and AirPort $130.
    I have Wireless G Lynksis 4port router and additional Lynksis 4port hub. All ports are pretty much used so I'm thinkink to upgrade my hub to 8ports.

6. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Linksys 802.11g Wireless USB Print Server
    Model: WPS54G

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Assuming it's the WPS54G, available online for ~$80, I'd strongly consider the Linksys. Cheaper and - very likely - better range. iTunes streaming is nice if and only if you'll be placing it near a stereo. AirPort Express capabilities are better (aside from range), but you'll pay more for one.

Edit: so it's the WPS54G. My advice is to pick the Linksys and save $50 and get better range/speed (stronger signal = better speed because they all bump down to 802.11b speeds when the signal's weak enough).

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you're already using Linksys products, it will probably be easier to add another one to your network than to try to add the Airport Express. It can be done, it's just not a fun task.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, I do have an AirportExpress and it's bridging a Linksys WRT54G, and I could tell you how to do it (PM me or search for WRT54G posts with my name). I like the AE (and got it for $99 during the Thanksgiving sale). I'm just trying to save boneca some $$.

10. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You guys for the answers, I will go with Lynksis as I have used in a past without problems.
    The AirPort still a possibility in a future. We'll see.

jsw are you going to North Shore mall to check out new on Apple stuff? I'm in Peabody 5 min from you :)