lynx in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by modyouup, Jan 19, 2003.

1. modyouup macrumors member

I've recently been doing many of my operations on the terminal. One thing that I can't get to work for the life of me is lynx the UNIX web browser. I've installed it via the aqua installer from apple.com and I've tried installing it with fink manually through the terminal. Doing it with fink made it really look like it was doing something. But it still doesn't work.

From what I'm told I'm supposed to type:

% lynx "www.website.com"

and then thw site comes up. I'e tried all types of variations with this and it always gives me "command not found" ****. Waht's the problem?

Also, if anyone knows how to configure Pine, a UNIX mail client for remote mail rather than local mail, please let me know. I want to try and get my optonline.net address to work with it.

Thanks! :D

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: lynx in OS X

First - I recommend "links" over "lynx" -- links is a much better text-based browser.

"Command not found" simply means the shell doesn't know where the command is.

It looks for commands in directories which are in your $PATH environment variable.

try this:

/sw/bin/lynx

and see if it works.

arn

3. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Thanks arn! It worked by going to /sw/bin/lynx!

Do you know how I could fix it so it loads the way it's supposed to? (just typing lynx)

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

including

"source /sw/bin/init.csh"

(without the quotes) into your ".cshrc" file in your home directory should do it.

Open Terminal and type "open .cshrc" and it should it in an editor. add the above line and save it. Then reopen a new terminal window and try it.

Seriusly... look into "links" - I think you can also get it from Fink. Much better than lynx.

arn

5. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm. There seems to be no .cshrc file in my home. I did a locate and there is a csh.cshrc file in /private/etc.

Tried opening that file and it says it cannot be opened. Tried it using sudo and still didn't work. Odd.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Doesn't matter... create one in your home directory. That's the one that will be used (if there is anything in it)

arn

7. modyouup thread starter macrumors member