Lyric widgets shut down by record companies!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Diatribe, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As written on the publisher's site of pearlyrics (Link) Warner Music has sent him a cease and desist letter and he has stopped offering his widget as he cannot afford a lawsuit.
    As of right now almost all lyric widgets are gone from the Apple widget page too. They are still up however on Macupdate. Snatch them up while you can...

What has the world come to? Seriously, now the record companies are dictating which kind of browsers I use on my computer? :eek:
    I'd be more than happy to share it if it really disappears from Macupdate too.

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It's gone from MacUpdate now... just redirects to the pearworks site.

Never used it, but this is just sad.

3. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Whats up with this? I mean there are billions of websites online that offer lyrics, why arent those shut down. The only thing that the widget does is offer the lyrics from the sites. It seems that these record companies just want to make our lives harder.

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

I'll be uploading it on rapidshare when I get home and post the link for everyone who needs it.

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

That's ridiculous.

Lyrics are something you can hear for yourself and know. I can listen to the lyrics, write them down, and post them and distribute them all over the net.

To say that I, potentially, cannot create a widget that fetches those lyrics is absurd.

This world is truly f'ed up...

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Great stuff Diatribe,I was just having a think about where I could host it.I'm sure lots of others will do it to.

7. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'll be getting one of these letters soon.

Except, I'll be willing to fight it

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Actually, from his letter -
    This is news to me - anyone confirm it?
    Sucks that pearlyrics has gone - it's a great widget.

9. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Good question. I haven't heard anything of them shutting down sites yet.

There are many lyric widgets out there but pearlyrics' functionality was the best. It found almost all lyrics...

Are you a dev of another lyric widget?

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This is ridiculous. :mad:

A classic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

doesn't itunes have lyrics built into the song id3 tag info now? since 6.0 i believe, yes?:confused:

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, who's up for strapping bombs to our chests and marching into corporate headquarters of record companies, ala Jihad style?

I hate record companies. Which is why I condone and promote piracy of music. Until they start treating people with respect, I will not pay for another album (from a major recording company.) DEATH TO FASCISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yes you are correct but it seems like it is "illegal" to use another app or site to fill it.... you have to manually listen to the song and write it in yourself... :rolleyes:

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its true. they really make it hard to be on their side.

15. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Strong words but I am inclined to agree with you. To go after people who cannot defend themselves for things totally legal is insane.
    I can definitely not judge anyone for hating the music industry. When do artists wisen up and see what record companies are doing is hurting them too?

16. iGary Guest

iGary

You know what?

I'm just about to the point where I will use "other sources" to get my music.

The lyrics widget, which was linked to iTunes most of the time did a great job and enhanced my music experience.

This type of behavior is really, quite bluntly, disgusting.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This sucks for Mac users but not as much for PC users, who now have to visit websites to find lyrics, and those websites are notorious breeding grounds for spyware, trojans and viruses.

The record companies are so stupid. Don't they realize that listening to music with lyrics makes the experience so much more fuller and rewarding, especially with those newer songs where the compression and heavy instrumentals usually drown out the vocals.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

18. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Rumor some years past...

I heard a rumor some years past that Disney and/or the MPAA sent a ceast and desist letter to a children's medical ward in the U.S. because the nurses had a vcr at the nurses' station and were playing movies on four or five monitors simultaneously around the hospital ward. This act was interpreted by the lawyers as public performance and they were told to stop or face legal action.

True or not. I dunno. But I believe it

19. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The thing is that the people who are suing aren't the people whose copyrights are being violated. The lyrics are copyrighted as is the recording, (but oddly not the performance.) In theory the lyrics sites should be kicking back to the lyricists probably through ASCAP.

As for the sense in picking on harmless people, it sets precedent and sometimes precedent is more important than law. TANJ

20. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

I wouldnt doubt it, some years back the school my mom worked at received a cease and desist letter from disney stating that they are not allowed to show disney movies on Fun friday, its like a reward system for the students. You have a percentage of your homework completed and no behavioral infractions and you get to play outside or maybe a board game. On half days or special occasions you get to watch a movie, as disney is the defacto kids theater we show disney. Until a parent who was a high ranking employee of Disney found out from their kid, she then reported the school to disney and there you have it, the end of disney on fun friday.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Since 5, actually.

The thing is, I don't think pearLyrics (or any other lyrics app/widget) would be infringing on the copyright, as they include the lyrics, nor do they keep the lyrics on a server. The only parties that could be infringing here are the websites, which host and transmit the lyrics.
    Of course, this highlights a problem that exists when you mix capitalism and justice, as the two aren't always the best of friends. Perhaps the EFF could find a lawyer to take his case pro bono.

23. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

What are you referring to? The link or the widget? Of course the widget is still working ;)

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, that's my biggest peeve as well. I don't see the point of having laws at all unless some harm was being done. I didn't ever think that lyric sites were illegal. Are they? Anyway, even if they are, they're absolutely harmless. This developer isn't making money from this widget anyway. They're free. I don't like stupid laws, or the enforcement of stupid laws. Who was this hurting, really? I think laws should protect people from being hurt, plain and simple. Surely there are better things to do than enforcing laws like this (if they exist at all).

I mean, taking Disney videos away from a childrens ward is stupid. I hope the people from that company have children that die. Die. Honestly. I hope they die of boredom and stress and restlessness while lying in a hospital bed because they can't watch any movies and just feel like crap. Then get more sick. Then I hope they realize how retarded they are.

I'm gonna download 2 albums now and do something that's actually illegal. This lyrics thing is ********.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Be sure its Warner Music. Heck, throw in some Sony while your at it:mad: