Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
They cant do this in America:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004246.php

We write today to inform you that the distribution of software such as pearLyrics does not violate U.S. copyright law and that any legal threats by Warner/Chappell against U.S. software developers in connection with software similar to pearLyrics could expose Warner/Chappell to legal action in U.S. federal courts.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
maya said:
However there is another argument, if you can obtain the lyrics for the songs then there is one less feature to buy the Album as usually many of the Albums have lyrics included.

Any CD I buy gets ripped to MP3. I like having the lyrics embedded in my songs and am not about to sit there and type them in for the entire CD. PearLyrics is great for doing it, I can have an entire CD tagged with lyrics in a minute or 2. So lyrics sites aren't just for people who haven't bought CDs

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I suppose it's time for an update to this (even if it's over a month late).
clicky.
Joint Statement of Walter Ritter, pearworks and Richard Blackstone, Warner/Chappell Music:

"Based upon our common goal of helping consumers enjoy the song lyrics they want - and our common belief that technology can help to transform the music industry to the benefit of consumers and artists alike - we are committed to working together to provide consumers a convenient, legal way to find accurate song lyrics.

The goal of Warner/Chappell's prior letter to pearworks was to gain assurance that pearLyrics operated according to those principles. However, in both tone and substance, that letter was an inappropriate manner in which to convey that inquiry. Warner/Chappell apologizes to Walter Ritter and pearworks.

Our solution will adhere to our shared belief that songwriters must be fairly compensated for their work and that legitimate web sites with accurate lyrics must not be undermined by unlicensed web sites.

We look forward to working together, and to helping to advance the evolution of the music industry cooperatively for the benefit of consumers and artists alike."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.