Lytro Camera Gets Wi-Fi Capabilities, New Lytro Mobile App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

The Lytro Light Field Camera, which was released in late 2011, is designed to capture refocusable images, allowing the perspective of the picture to be changed at will. Today Lytro announced that it has turned on a hidden Wi-Fi feature in the camera to go alongside the release of a new Lytro app.

With the Lytro app, Lytro users can wirelessly upload images taken with the camera to share, while non-Lytro users can explore the device's Perspective Shift functionality. Pictures from the app can be shared to, Facebook, or Twitter, and living pictures can be saved to the camera roll as animated GIFs.

Lytro owners can activate the new Wi-Fi functionality through a firmware update.

Lytro is an iPhone-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Lytro Camera Gets Wi-Fi Capabilities, New Lytro Mobile App
  2. macrumors member

Mar 26, 2010
    That form factor...

more like Ka-Lytro-scope, amirite?
  3. macrumors 68020

Aug 13, 2011
    Yes, but I still want one. What I could do with some of the pictures that I've taken throughout the years!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2011
    Clever technology, but this camera a such an epic flop.
  5. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2010
    Pretty sure the reception has been on par with their expectations. It's not like they are clueless that it can be a lengthy and iterative process to introduce the world to a new technology. I think they'll be just fine.

I wonder if a cellphone-maker like Apple will buy them out eventually.
  6. macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2011
    San Francisco, California
    Cool update. But at $399, I just can't do it.
    I'm not saying it's not worth $400, I have no idea.. It's just way more than I'd be willing to invest in a very niche, cool but almost gimmicky, product.

$200, and who knows, I might pull the trigger.

I must sound cheap, since a decent point and shoot camera can easily cost more than $200...
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    They need to improve low light exposure and have options to capture larger resolution's kind of frustrating that this hasn't happened yet.
  8. macrumors 68020

Nov 16, 2006
    It always seems more like a proof of concept that a product to me.
  9. macrumors 68030

If they can increase the resolution significantly, sometime in the future, this idea has merit, and could see wider adoption.
  10. macrumors 603

Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    I wish it had a resolution comparable to other point and shoots, then I'd definitely consider it.
  11. macrumors 68020

Dec 18, 2009
    It's a neat technology but the reality of physics is just stacked against Lytro being a successful major commercial product. It needs a larger and more powerful sensor to be useful since the depth of field with that small sensor is just too deep and that limits its usefulness.

Getting all the extra information takes too much processing power and a severe reduction in resolution. It'll probably be a while before there's enough pixel density along with cheap enough processing power to make a high resolution Lytro viable.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Me too. How it ever got in to production in this stage of development is a mystery.

It's a great idea if it could be applied to a DSLR.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Aug 18, 2005
    Wow kudos to them. That is some upgrade to an existing product.

That's like Apple coming around and saying "Oh hey, that iPhone we sold you 2 years ago, it now has built in FM Radio!". In fact Apple could actually do this, because some iPhones have had a bluetooth chip that can do exactly that.

Apple just haven't bothered doing it. Lytro have, and I respect that. I'd almost buy one :) But it's not a product that interests me.
  14. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    City of Angels
    They shouldn't have used such a tiny sensor in the first place and since they did, they should've focused on upping the sensor size instead of adding connectivity.

Pelican is gonna end up pushing Lytro out of the market. 8 MP image, can also do video, and already partnered with Nokia to put it on smartphones. Instead of standalone kaleidoscope looking devices
  15. macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2013
    Way to expensive considering I have an iPhone which takes really nice pictures already. If it was 50 bucks, definitely.
  16. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Wow, talk about bad timing to announce a great feature. Am I the only one a bit creeped out about a manufacturer announcing that their product has wireless capability that was kept a secret until now? Given the NSA scandal and the US government's unwarranted surveillance of everyone on the internet, it seems deceitful to sell a networkable device without making it clear to the buyer. Cool feature but it should not have been kept a secret.
  17. Guest

Because this would require possibly a new hardware.

I think the contrary. It's actually clever to have wait about it until the app was ready. Otherwise people would have complained they can't use it.

Now they are happy because they have a new feature they didn't expect for free.

BTW, why they don't charge their customer again like Apple did with the SOX excuse ...
  18. macrumors 68020

Dec 18, 2009
    I agree. It's a nice gesture and as a smaller company they probably didn't have resources required to implement all the features in time. It takes time to program and test the feature.

Lytro isn't a public company unlike Apple so I don't think the accounting rule applies here.
  19. macrumors member

Oct 19, 2005
    I love the idea of this camera and wifi is nice... but the resulting image is too low-resolution to use for anything besides tech-demo.

I have been waiting for them to double the resolution, at which point I'd buy one. who cares about bells and whistles when the image is too small?
  20. Kissaragi, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

macrumors 68020

Nov 16, 2006
    Could they make a pro camera using this tech? It would be hugely expensive of course, but if it could take near DSLR quality photos with the refocusing wizardry then Id have thought some photographers would be interested?

Maybe a partnership with a high end company like red?
  21. macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2009
    Agreed. I've seen some sample images and the technology isn't quite up there, especially for the price they are charging. Maybe in a generation or two it will improve enough... but for now, I think it's better to have the first adopters be guinea pigs :p
  22. Liquorpuki, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    City of Angels
    If you want a see lightfield photography packaged in a way that's more consumer friendly, look up what Pelican Imaging has been doing

- 4x4 camera array, which gives you the same lightfield capabilities as Lytro
    - 8MP image + video capture
    - 3D image / video capture
    - Can fit into a smartphone and they've already partnered with Nokia

And if you have a 3D Printer you'd be able to do this

I like Lytro and I was thinking about buying one of those cameras when they first came out, but 2 years later and they're still trying to let Lightfield sell itself instead of helping the consumer find ways to use it. They're pulling a Xerox
  23. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2007
    How did the chip not get noticed before this? Teardowns only happen with MB Airs these days?