m-audio, anyone know anything about it/ sound cards etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Feb 2, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

A cool guy I met on the east coast was telling me about m-audio which amoung other things makes sound cards. I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if it's worth it to up grade since i use my computer as my stero. What can you guys recomend also. Their website is:

http://m-audio.com/index.php

ps: was unsure what forum to post, sorry --

2. adt macrumors member

I currently own m-audio's Usb Duo, but I'm looking to purchase a Transit, because of its portability. Both products are 24-bit, 96khz one-way, so they're dvd quality. The usb duo takes mic-ins, and gives phantom power to condensors, while the transit is strictly for line-level - pwoerbook users!

As a sound guy, both products are indispensable for recording stereo feeds from live gigs, though the transit does it in a much more compact way.

Ultimately, both products really are redundant, as they are usb. This means you can only go 44.1/48khz in AND out, or 96khz in OR out, you can't do both in and out at such a high resolution.

The future is firewire, and they offer this technology too, though not in a multiple-channel interface like motu or digidesign. In fact, their firewire goes to a max of 4in, 10 out. Sounds pretty useless actually!

When they pack firewire into the transit, i'll be very impressed. For now, they are, to my knowledge, the best outboard sound card provider for usb 24bit/96khz stereo audio. Especially for the powerbook!

3. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

If you are using your computer as a stereo only, I am not sure whether the upgrade is worth it. The built-in in/outputs usually have a good quality. Most people don't hear a difference between 44.1/16 and 96/24 anyway. If you need that quality or want to go surround, then of course you need more or better outputs. Still, unless you want to do recording, USB interfaces should suit you well. Especially since going out 48/24 both ways shouldn't be a problem. (Trust me, it's really hard to hear the difference between 48/24 and 96/24 for home purposes.)

adt, 4in/10out can make sense; there are settings that need mostly outputs (5+1 surround or going out to a digital mixing console, for example). By the way, the Firewire Audiophile has 6 outs only. If you want to spend more cash, get the MOTU 828mkII -- 20 ins, 22 outs :). Or buy my emagic a62|m for lots of cash so I can get one of these :).

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

M-Audio is a pretty good prosumer company. They make a wide range of audio and MIDI gear that plays well with a lot of Mac stuff. I have an original Sonica, a USB -> analog stereo/optical S/PDIF device and love it. It is great for cleaner analog stereo (supporting 96/24 out only) and the optical connector is flawless with Panther and DVD Player for surround sound.

I haven't used their audio in interfaces so I can't comment on them, but others on the forum like them and they seem to work well. I think a big advantage is the stability of CoreAudio, making it possible to use devices through the system, rather than through programs like in OS 9 and earlier.

Their gear is also affordable enough that if you don't use it every day you won't be kicking yourself for over paying.

cpjakes

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

they make cool stuff. i used the omni studio for years, but current i am using edirol.

check out osxaudio for some good reviews and forums on any osx audio product.

peace.

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i have the audiophile card (recording from mixing board), and for $150 it really wouldn't be a good option for a stereo, Im sure there are better/cheaper options.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as mentioned, m-audio gear is prosumer. that's not necessarily bad, especially if you're a hobbyist and the rest of your gear is prosumer.

in general, for a/d & d/a, you get what you pay for.

if it fits your needs and budget, and you are happy w/ its audio quality, go for it. (you can always return it if unhappy)

you make no mention of what s/w you're planning on using with it or, in fact, if you're even planning on using it for a home studio.

8. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

zim, I was just thinking of getting a better sound card for my computer. I have some computer speakers hooked up to it, I can't tell if this type of sound card would make that much difference, but my friend said it was really good. -n

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think you'd be happy with the Revolution PCI card they make. It has analog inputs and outputs and S/PDIF coaxial output. It's cheaper than the Audiophile card too.

I have a sonica and find it to be excellent for what it is, although I have coaxial input on my speaker system and optical output from the sonica.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think i misread you earlier and had assumed you were setting up a home studio.

i have a home studio, and to be honest, i listen to iTunes through the built-in audio out jack (sure, it goes into a mixer then through some studio monitors, but i'm still using that crap jack).

so for your purposes, i think you'll get better results by putting the money into an amp and speakers (integrated or not).

if you do get an m-audio box, am i correct in assuming you'll use only its d->a conversion?

11. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

I was actually just thinking of getting the internal sound card. The speakers I have I am OK with. The friend of mine had said they have some of the best cards.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

did he qualify it with "for the money," or just "the best?" i might agree with the former, the latter is not correct.

these would rock your world:
    Benchmark DAC
    Lavry DA924
    Prism Dream DA-2

and, of course, they're also more expensive

13. neut macrumors 68000

neut

here's the ****: metric halo

but it sounds like you have nothing else better to spend your money on. unless your doing any recording or mastering... your 16bit stock audio out will be just fine. if you want more, invest in a surround system.

peace.