M-Audio DX4 speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flalaw, Jan 26, 2007.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

I've read positive posts on the M-Audio DX4 speakers, but I was wondering if I could get any other feedback on them or any other alternatives I may want to consider. Also, I'm a little bit confused about whether or not I can attach a sub to this setup. Some people mention that they run the M-Audio DX4s w/ a sub, but how exactly do you do this? Do you need a powered sub?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, any sub would have to be powerd.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=studiomonitors

You can look at the BX10s plus the DX4's
    or the LX4 2.1 system which is like 2 unpowered DX4's plus a sub with the amps in a bundle.

Or you can look at the ESI nEar 05's with or without the sub. There are the ones I have, I decided I didn't need the sub.

3. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

are you pleased w/ the ones you have? is the bass particularly lacking?

4. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

also, i'm switching from the logitech z5500. would there be any noticeable upgrade in sound quality? i realize i'll be missing the sub though if i go w/ either of the two you mentioned.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't listen to much hiphop, I have a small room and I don't crank it -- so I don't need the subbass. I had the subwoofer, but found that for my tastes, I did not need any extra bass, so I sold the sub.

The 5500 is FAR more bass heavy. If you are into games and 'shake you clothes' type listening, you'll have a shock moving to the more accurate monitors. I suggest you look at getting the sub if you are used to the sound of the 5500s.

6. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

the 5500 is pretty bass heavy for my taste anyway. from what you said it seems that the speakers aren't overly flat. i'll try to find them in a local store to demo. thanks for the advice :)