M-Audio Preamp Interface or Edirol 20 24 Bit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBunnellFarm, Dec 25, 2004.

1. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

These are the two inexpensive ones at the Apple Store web site.

$149 and $179 respectively

Which one should I get and does one or the other lack or excel in capability.

I will be hooking into a PowerMac G5 with GarageBand with my vocals on a Shure SM58 and an Accoustic/Electric Martin Guitar either mic'ed through it'self or a SM57, probably some of both and also an M-Audio Controller Keyboard, probably a Radium 61 or maybe just a 49 Keystation.

I realize this is all beginner/amature stuff but that is where my budget is..and my skill leval is also at zero..brand brand new is I...dummer than dumb is me, but Apple will get me there...even me...

me and this Martin are going to knock some socks off...

Should I be getting the 24 bit Edirol

Thank You
    Tom

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The M-Audio 410 is by far the best interface on the Apple site if you can afford it, it's FireWire for a start, not USB, USB power isn't really good enough for mic -amp applications, even on the Digidesign M-box.

If you're a bit stuck for cash the Eidorol looks the better bet, but you'll not get the best results from you Martin with either.

Incidentally, the SM57/58 isn't the best mic for acoustic guitar, it doesn't have the high frequency response, especially from a guitar like yours. I'd suggest you look at a decent condensor mic, maybe the Rode NT range or the new Samson condensors, there are a few good one's out there.

Bite the bullet abd get the M-audio FW410 and a Rode NT2 (or similar) you'll love the results.

3. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

A new firewire preamp..

Just the other day in my searches an anouncement for a January 6, 2005 release of a new firewire preamp, I went to its site and it said it would be $199

but I lost it, I haven`t hooked up my G5 yet ( I'm right now trying to figure out a router so I can run PC and Mac )

and I can`t recover it on this PC

One of the many reasons I went with Mac and can learn one system and be done with it...

4. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

How about the M-Audio Audiophile Firewire ????

M-Audio Audiophile Firewire NEW ( BINFree Ship ) $149.95

Is this a step up... still looking for the one coming January 6, 2005

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Don't know the unit, do you have a URL for it, I'll take a look.

The 410 unit is a multi-output unit that is probably a bit over spec'ed for you needs, so if M-audio are bringing out a low-end FW unit, that'll be a good thing all round.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Spec looks good, the external PSU is a good move, means the pre-amp will be properly powered.

If it's the same mic pre as the 410 it'll probably sound decent too, not as nice as the Focusrite units in the M-box maybe, but you'll have to spend a lot more money to get better.

I'll check it out when they hit the suppliers.

7. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

Bite the bullet..

Bite the bullet and get the M-audio FW410 and a Rode NT2 (or similar) you'll love the results.

Winter..I know you are right but they come in at about $800 I don't have that kind of money right now.

I maxed out on the G5 Powermac and the Martin, thinking of them as the heart and lungs of my studio.

Now I got to squeeze my way through untill I fatten up a little.

I got to go with the Shure SM57 and the M-Audio Radium 61 Controller and probably the cheap Firewire I showed you, I can get them all for $60 $193 $159 a little over $400

I will move up the that good stuff very soon, one at a time.

Does that one Firewire I showed you cover me with the guitar and vocals and controller mentioned..

I will be starting with GarageBand and moving up to Logic 7 too.

Thanks, Tom

8. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

Here is another M-Audio Firewire..

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html

This is the Solo, I am to new at this to distinguish between the Audiophile and the Solo, they both can be bought for about $150

Which is best for what I am doing.

Or is there a better bang for that low or simmiler bucks.

Thanks, Tom

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Tom,

Thanks for the PM.

The Solo will do everything you want, plus there's extra inputs for any later kit you might get.

The mic input is fine, and there's a DI input if your Martin has a bridge pick-up fitted.

The 410 simply has more inputs and outputs, but is essentially a bigger version of the Solo.

The Audiophile won't record with a mic and is more suited to DJ/midi musicians, as it has a built in midi port. You'll not need a midi port, as the controller you plan on buying supports USB connection for midi.

Logic is a very good choice but has a very steep learning curve, if you're planning on doing a lot of audio and not too much midi, then I'd suggest you look at Digidesign's ProTools LE, in fact it might be a good idea to check out the M-box ProTools system now, as you could save yourself a lot of money in the long run, as ProTools won't use anyone else's hardware, but you can use the M-box with most software.

Garageband is a lovely little freebie, and is very useful, but ProTools is the professional recording platform, and isn't particularly difficult to use.

Might be something to think about.

10. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

M-Audio Firewire Solo

Here is my Guitar

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=pl&m=OM-28 John Mayer

So now I got the
    - Martin John Mayer
    - PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 - 1 gig ram - 250 hard drive
    - BenQ PB6200 Projector
    - M-Audio Firewire Solo Preamp
    - Shure SM 58 for Vocals
    - M-Audio Radium 61 Controller Keyboard

- The Canon XL1s Camcorder- is the next big addition

The software you recommended is next..
    Thanks so much for your help. Tom

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

No problems Tom, remember to learn you're existing kit before moving on to the bigger stuff, it'll be a much easier transition.

The Martin looks fantastic, you really should get yourself a decent condensor mic, it'll make all the difference in the long run.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the pick-up sound vs a mic.