M$ intends to spy on its users even more!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mcrain, May 7, 2002.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Associated Press

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Microsoft Corp. said today that it has agreed to buy Danish software company Navision in a $1.3 billion stock and cash deal.

Under the deal, Navision will become part of Microsoft's Business Solutions division. Its corporate headquarters in Vedbaek, just north of the capital, Copenhagen, will be Microsoft's center of development and operations for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Microsoft offered Navision shareholders $37 per share or Microsoft shares based on a specified exchange ratio, according to a news release. Navision said its board was unanimously recommending that shareholders accept the offer.

Navision, which has some 1,300 employees in 30 countries, would be the first acquisition for Microsoft since December 2000, when the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant bought North Dakota-based Great Plains Software in a $1.1 billion deal.

"The combined vision, business strategy and product offerings of Microsoft and Navision will provide great benefits to small and midmarket customers and will create strong growth opportunities for Microsoft," Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said in a statement.

The announcement of the deal sent Navision's shares soaring 11 percent to $36.69 in early trading at the Copenhagen Stock Exchange.

Navision sells applications for enterprise resource planning as well as customer relationship and knowledge management. It has been successful in Europe but has failed to penetrate the U.S. market.

Customer relationship management, or CRM, allows a company to keep track of its entire relationship with a customer. In addition to recording purchases and notifying users of a customer's service needs, it can link to a company's financial catalog to provide sales estimates, discounts and cross-promotions, and can be used to create a marketing database based on customers' buying habits.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

wonderful, just what we all need, for m$ to get even deeper into our lives. The main reason that I have been avoiding winblows hexpee is because of their required registration scheme (with the home edition).

I seriously hope that m$ doesn't hide that software inside one of it's many 'critical update' packages. If they do that, I will be one of the first people to sign up to sue them big time. It's bad enough when you get spam, but to have m$ slide something like that into your system is just wrong. Even for the evil monoply that it is, that would be slimy.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

My thoughts exactly. I thought my older computer was bad enough with its registration and information tracking, but then I started seeing all sorts of log files and cookies and histories, and then I get paranoid. I don't want to be paranoid when I use my computer, I just want to use it without feeling like someone is watching what I do to see if they can sell me something.

M$ is getting awfully bold and intrusive, and I for one don't like it.

4. spuncan macrumors 6502

Ugh lawsuits. Well M$ is probably the only company that comletely deserves the sue-happy public (Tipper :) (hmm maybe m$ deserves a warning lable to))
    Thats is so retarded that they do this it makes no sense they gain nothing but companies respect even though they'll buy em in a month :) .

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Also did you here about 2 months ago M$ were monitering what DVDs people watched throught M$ media player

But what if apple were spying on us... Everybody knows they like to keep things hush hush

6. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

to fix your quote mac 15..

"I didn't get rich writing a lot of checks"

7. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Once again the Apple add from '84 comes to my mind.
    I think that M$ is the BB in this add now, in '84 it used to be others, but m$ is transforming to that image.

Now where is that hammer again, Steve?

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Thanks TiMacLover
    I only just remembered about it and I hadn't seen that episode in ages