M$ Lost $4,000,000,000 On XBox

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Sep 27, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

2. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

if theyre losing money then why continue to make the xbox...

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Because they want to beat the other console makers in sales. M$ isn't striclty about money anymore - its more power over the market in general. They already have more money than they could spend.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Is that just the console? I thought that MS had made back most, if not all of their losses on game royalties and licensing etc. Or does that $4 billion include money made on games? Either way, the only other large organization that comes to mind that would hardly raise an eyebrow at a staggering $4 billion loss would be the US federal government.

5. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Don't game console producers consistently lose money in console sales because they put technology in the systems worth more then they sell for, in hopes of making high profit margins on $1 dvd's that sell for $50( i know there are other factors) ?? That was my understanding!

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yes, exactly. This report could well be only reporting the losses made on the console (est $70 per unit). They also spent $500+ million dollars on marketing in those four years which is likely included in that figure.

It's doubtful that this figure was off-set against game sales and also bear in mind the phrase lost up to $4 Billion.

Without any figures to support this, or investigation into money made back from software sales, this article can be discounted at best as complete speculation and at worst, very sloppy journalism.

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yes I know they've got big pockets ....

.... but the games industry is a fast moving and emotive one. If they were in the business of constructing international airports then you can expect nothing but losses in the first half dozen years.

This just shows how much of a clumsy behemoth and out of touch organisation the Microsoft really is. It recognises this as it is making efforts to reorganise itself internally.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Lose money on the basic product, in this case quite a bit, but make up for it in game sales.

Especially since they are probably getting a chunk of every game sold for the box in license fees -- and they are hoping to have a blockbuster game of their own either via their distribution network and/or captive game developer.

Unlike printers and razors, the game box has the "possibility" of being a huge moneymaker/upside profit if they have a single HUGE game -- or a portfolio of games -- that make the gamebox a marketshare leader.

Edit: but a $4 billion gamble is a huge gamble, but not too much considering a new real estate business could cost just as much and only land you a couple/few properties.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

True, but could games sales make up the several billion lost? Also they apparently don't account for the R&D cost to develop the console in the first place, which was probably none too cheap.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Microsoft screwed up royally when they didn't think further ahead to make sure their library of xbox 1 games could work natively in the xbox 360. Now with only limited support for some titles, they've basically started over again. Idiots.

11. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Maybe, maybe not.

If they had taken this approach with their OS a few years ago, Windblows wouldnt be so bad.....

12. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly. Once you have control of the market, you can effectively do what you want with it. You're the ones making the money, because you're well known (of course, this didn't work this gen - Nintendo has made more than the other 2 lost combined each quarter for the past 2 years)

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The referenced article in Forbes is even more revealing. Microsoft has lost $7 billion over the last four years in the divisions outside of operating systems and desktop software. According to the article, those two divisions account for an amazing 140% of Microsoft's profits (they lose money everyplace else). Remarkable, isn't it? They can only make money where they've got a monopoly they can leverage. Otherwise, they haven't got a clue.

The article also describes how hidebound the company has become, and how difficult it is for them to get anything done because of the company's complicated internal politics. They are now IBM, the company they once openly mocked -- lacking a vision, direction and strong leadership.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the videogames aren't yet profitable, and they were when they bought them -- it's quite sad.

Sounds like they are mired deeply in beauracracy, and legal accountability.

Their directed vision failed under Gates.

When Steve Jobs came back he whacked away at R&D and the workforce, outsource entire divisions, and they now get the same amout of work done on a leaner dollar.

Sounds like MicroSoft needs a massive RIF, heck even a MS-led pseudo-breakup can help out as they reorganize to make every division earn a profit.

The Xbox is expected to be a loss-leader, the video game and game distribution should be a profit center.

Apple knows they will have duds and they've walked away from spending further time and dollars on them, seems like MS can never walk away from a bad idea.

Which is sad.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Nintendo has done that with every new generation, and yet they're still making money. I think backwards compatibility for consoles is highly overrated.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Backwards compatibility in consoles is not only a smart move on the developer, but the consumer as well. Why buy consoles and games you can only play for a couple of years?

The PS3 will play both PSX and PS2 games as well as the new PS3 games. what does this mean to me? I can keep playing through CastleVania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid 1-3 every two years as I have a habit of doing. I love Halo 2 (well, the multi-player at least), but if I can't play it on a 360, forget it. I'll definately be getting a PS3 for MGS 4 alone.

17. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The Forbes article linked from the Inquirer statest

"The Xbox game console is hot, but its division has lost $4 billion in four years and isn't yet in the black. "

Still leaves it open to some interpretation, but to me it sounds like total losses hit $4 Billion max and they have since been working their way towards the black.

18. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Let us not all forget that Halo 2 made $150 million the day it was released (including pre-orders of course), plus Xbox live and royalites from all those developers cut the deficit considerably. But remember the orginal Xbox was only meant to cut into Sony market share and establish themselves as a viable game console which they've done. I'm guessing the the loss on the 360 will be less but the revenue streams will be much greater. Here is where MS makes back it's green backs. And Halo 2 will play on an Xbox or I'll eat my disc. The amount of firepower the 360 has will be more than enough to emulate the original. Although a patch may be necessary it's nothing new to Mac and PC gamers who upgraded thier OS only to find games didn't work anymore (No One Lives Forever 2 and Panther anyone?)

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Years of Xbox losses were predicted by an analyst I read a few years back. Turned out to be right. But I think these losses include game console software sales. As the Forbes article says, the company is divided into divisions, of which the Xbox is one. It doesn't appear that game console software is its own division, and these sales don't fit into their enterprise, operating system or desktop software divisions. So I think they're losing money on the whole shebang.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As others have said, the Xbox was all about establishing Microsoft in the console market, and at whatever cost - lucky for dear old MS, no matter how great the loss, it's still not actually that much of an impact to their over all finances.

I'll see how they're doing another generation or two of consoles down the line before I judge them on this one, this is about long term gain remember.

Spend money to make money....and all that gibberish.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Umm, well, I think that reasoning goes only so far. I think it's fascinating to see how poorly Microsoft does in a market when they're faced with real competition.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, guys, this is the total losses. I remember adding the numbers off their quarterly profits and got the same negative $4 billion a few months ago, and one of the quarters were positive (a single one) because of the release of Halo 2.

Basicly, the XBox was a $370 system that sold for $300. I think Microsoft expected to make it up on XBox Live subscriptions (five years of XBox Live, a console's life span, is $250), but only a very small percentage of users ended up using it.

23. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Another point is this 4 billion over 4 years. That may not seem like much but when you see that "Microsoft had $56.4 billion in cash on its balance sheet at the end of the quarter, up from $52.8 billion as of the end of December." Money at CNN 1 billion less per year really doesn't hurt that much when you gain an extra 3.6 billion in 9 months. They can afford to play. At least MS hired a whole lot of Americans and gave them good jobs.

24. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

I look at it like this;

MS is the monster, Sony is the machine. Sure machines break down, but the MS monster has been bleeding since day one and continues to do so.

MS will do anything to get into the game market. They are bleeding and will continue to bleed money with the 360. They released the 360 as early as possible to get into the market ASAP and establish a foothold of some sorts.

That foothold will mean nothing once Sony's machine hits the market. I see one more console from MS, before they give up.

One more thing, if it wasn't for the XBox, where would the industry be today? As much as most of you hate MS and its monster, I think they changed the industry for the better. MS did give us more choice and woke up other console creators. Do you think Nintendo would have online support for it's Revolution if XBox Live wasn't as successful? Before you all get huffy about this, realize that Nintendo's response to online features was "Connectivity" last year at E3. Where is that now and what's Nintendo's current direction? XBox Live isnt the 1st to market, but it is the 1st successful.

Anyway, MS's approach to the XBox is bad for itself (loss of money, pissing off hardware manufacturers like nVidia) but good for us, in the sense that we get more choice and wakes up the competition to give us better features. More competators, especially ones with deep pockets, makes Nintendo and Sony work harder for our gaming dollars.