Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Well, this is a weird story. My dad smokes cigars, and I guess he went to the cigar store the other day. He talked to one of the guys (he knows alot of people in the joint) and asked him what he did.

The guy told him he makes products for motorola and other chip making companies. My dad asked him what kind of products, and the guy said "M-Ram"

He said that MRAM is much more efficient than any RAM out there at the moment, and it is not as cluttered. Instead of having all the different microns and stuff on one chip, the MRAM chip is a really dense chip, and operates at speeds much quicker than all rams at the moment.

Do a search on google, and you will be sure to find something.

My brother said he saw an article on it on a mac website, like MacSurfer or something...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sounds interesting, however it'll probably be years intill we see it in a Mac, hell, we havn't even got DDR yet :(
Apple do take they're time, but we love 'em all the same :)

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
well.. it is made by motorola...

im chure it would be much easier for a company like apple to integrate the technology as opposed to other companies because of their relationship...

it is kinda interesting, though.. if apple integrated such a technology im chure they would get a lotta publicity and stuff and im chure it would greatly improve performance...

i think its a posssibility.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Here is the link to the article

I heard about this news from MacSurfer few days back..and I went back and searched the site

"MRAM is expected to first replace more expensive non-volatile memory types such as flash in these applications and to also eventually supplant the volatile memory types like SRAM (static RAM) and DRAM (dynamic RAM) in other applications such as desktop PCs. "

read the full article here
Link

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
A cheaper, faster form of RAM? Sounds good to me. Perhaps apple would be able to implement it in a new portable device come 2004/5. (dare i say, P** :p)

firewire2001~ just out of interest, why do you always write "chure", as opposed to "sure"?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
...oh, Mag-RAM! I'm with ya now. M-RAM is Magnetic RAM. It's sweet. I want some :)

We were talking about it in a comp architecture lecture the other day... very interesting stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.