M$ Word Won't Save to External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Whenever I try to save a document from MS Word to my external drive, I get an error message (pictured). This only seems to happen when I save an existing file, not when I save a file for the first time. (Oddly, sometimes it saves the file even when telling me that it cannot.)

This external drive is shared with other macs on the network and I have "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" checked so that others don't have issues with permissions on the volume. Is that messing Word up? If so, must I uncheck this "Ignore Ownership..." checkbox to make Word work? If I do that, won't that mess everyone else up when they try to save to the drive across the network?

How can I make Word happy and still keep this shared network drive accessible to everyone?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

This doesn't really help your situation any...but I once had that message come up when trying to save on ANY drive....of course I had a lot of work I had done on the document....THAT sucked. Luckly, when I force quit the application, it was able to recover most of it from the auto-saves.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything that will help your issue. Sorry.

3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nonetheless, it's good to know that I'm not totally alone in seeing this behavior. Thanks for the response!