M3 lite, homebrew

Discussion in 'Games' started by weg, Sep 10, 2006.

1. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

So, the M3 lite (SD) is finally available, and so are first reviews of it. I was really anticipating this thing, but now I've found out that it isn't ideal for homebrew software (e.g., ScummVM DS), one of the main reasons why I would buy such a card. The alternative seems to be to get the M3 CF adapter, which supposedly sticks out a mile of the DS lite (is there somebody on the forum who's using this combo and could post a picture?).

Are there any other disadvantages of the CF solution? (e.g., reduced battery life, compatibility issues with the Passcard3)? What solutions are you MacRumors games using?

EDIT: Seems Scumm VM on the M3 lite is a no go :(

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oooh, that's little. Does this take full sized or micro SD cards? Might have to get one, then there will be no need for swapping my M3 Perfect SD from my GB Micro and DS Lite.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hot dog! They're only a tad bit more expensive than regular SD in my shops. next time I feel like spending money it's going to be on this thing.

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Speaking of the M3, since you have one jimmi, is it very good? And is there any reason to use SD over CF?

I was wondering if anyone has done any video encoding for it and if that was very easy or worked well, plus I'd like to know how good the music support is :)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't tried the media abilities yet, probably testament to how irritating they are to get working. Moonshell refuses to work for me. it's definitely possible if you want to go that route, but my route has been playing Pokemon Blue on my Micro :D

It's a top device though. CF has more compatibility with the M3 than SD cards do. Though Micro SD cards are 100% compatible apparently.

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I just received my M3 lite the other day and love the size of the little thing. I purchased it from consolesource.com and while they seem to be slow and a tad lazy they have followed through. My email complaint about a faulty order took them almost a week to reply to and I don't know if they have anyone sitting at the phones. Oh, and I also purchased the M3 adapter and a passcard for under $100 [more w/shipping] in a bundle if anyone cares.

Anyway, I have the thing but can't do anything with it yet. My 2gb transflash [MicroSD] card was reported as being from a "faulty batch", and instead of waiting some weeks for a new shipment I decided to get a refund through amazon [one of the few places with 2gb transflash and one of the only I found to be under $100]. It seems to be a fairly new development in the transflash market. I'm thinking of either waiting a bit longer for Newegg to catch up or just buy a 1gb from them.

Yes, MicroSD is a bit more expensive but it's all relative. The thing is no bigger than a big-toenail and the technology is just being released. For example a 1gb card can range from $35 at newegg to $55 at bestbuy and the first 2gb cards [only by SanDisk and Motorola atm] were priced at $149 and are already $94 if you can find them.

I don't know what this ScummVM thing is even after checking their site [Lucas Arts Scumm games? No idea] but I did notice a , "Please note, if you use an SD card, you risk data corruption, as the drivers are not fully stable. Please back up the contents of your SD card before you play." so it could possibly just be a software issue that could later be added along with the use of SD cards in general.

The "features" list for the M3 Lite adapter was confusing as hell for me at first but I am learning. Once I get ahold of a card I'll figure out more, however, I probably will stick to gb/nes/snes emulation and mp3's. It will be at least another week until I get a card, and my mom's Dell only has dial-up, but if anyone wants me to test some stuff out I can get it prepared now.