Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koswo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Belgium
Hi, I understand that Apple Lossless audio files have extension M4A. Now my question is, are all files with extension M4A Apple Lossless encoded or are there also lossy files among them?

Thanks for clearing that out :)

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
.m4a is for the MP4 container. Apple Lossless is a codec. The MP4 container could also carry a lossy codec like AAC.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Most of the songs in my iTunes library are 256kbps AAC with the .m4a extension...

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
ALAC ftw!!! Seriously, I love the sound quality of lossless like ALAC, but on some of my music, I encode to 320kbps VBR aac....I honestly can't tell the difference on some CD's I rip. I typically (using Max) rip to both aac & ALAC, then sample a few tracks to see if there's an audible difference, if not, I keep the aac & trash the ALAC to save space (I keep all my music on my MBP HD, which is only 120GB, so I'll save space whenever I can)

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Hi, I understand that Apple Lossless audio files have extension M4A. Now my question is, are all files with extension M4A Apple Lossless encoded or are there also lossy files among them?

M4A is not unique to the Apple Lossless format. There are also lossy files with the M4A extension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.