M4a to MP3 software or how to

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goodwill, Apr 23, 2004.

1. goodwill macrumors regular

Hi-

I am trying to upload songs onto live365.com to broadcast. They have to be in MP3 format. Although some of my files are, the rest of them are in m4a. Can someone please tell me the best way to convert the m4a to mp3. this might be a repetitive topic, but i tried searching the forums and came up short, so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great. if i need to dload an application, what do i dload and from where. thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iTunes can convert anything it can read to AAC (m4a) or MP3, including other AAC and MP3 files. However, converting to/from AAC/MP3 is not recommended because you will lose sound quality in the conversion. If you need MP3s, I'd re-import from the original source as MP3 (if your songs were originally in an altogether different format, such as MOD, MIDI, OGG, etc. which you converted to AIFF or WAV before importing into iTunes; or if your music was ripped from CD). If you downloaded them as AAC (m4a) files, there's nothing you can do about losing quality in the conversion to MP3.

3. goodwill thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do this in itunes more specifically. If my file was originally an AAC file what do I do once I am in itunes to convert to mp3. This might seem elementary, but I am unfamiliar. Thanks!

4. sethypoo macrumors 68000

First, open up Preferences in iTunes (iTunes->Preferences), then click on the Importing tab, then go to where it says "Import Using" and select the MP3 encoder. You can even adjust the bit rate.

Then just control-click on the song you want to convert in iTunes, and select "Convert Selection to MP3."

Good luck! :)

5. goodwill thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, this completely gets me moving again. I was hung up on the snag of not knowing how to do this. Despite being simple in general, I think I was frustrating myself more and becoming distracted rather than being patient. Thanks again, being able to control the bit rate is perfect as well because to broadcast music in the category I am in it can't be any higher than 64. Although, this is unfortunate, I do prefer my music to be as crisp and as high quality as possible.

6. Got Josh? macrumors member