Ma Bell Comes Home

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by clayj, Dec 29, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16385838/

So now with AT&T (aka SBC) merging with BellSouth, we're now basically back where we were in the 70s and early 80s... one giant telecom company providing local phone service across virtually the entire US (minus Qwest's and Verizon's territories). It's even got the same name it used to have.

The more things change, hmm? ;)

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So what happened with the whole AT&T is too big and needs to be divided idea?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Definitely not for the merger, but hopefully with the use of VoIP and cell phones becoming so widespread, there will be enough competition to keep Ma Bell in check.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm for the merger. The circumstances that led to the breakup of Ma Bell back in the day does not apply today. Cellular phones, VoIP, etc, has provided competition where there were none.

5. tveric macrumors 6502

You think VOIP isn't a change? You think everyone having a cell phone isn't a change? You think the fact that many people have dropped home phone service entirely isn't a change?

So they merge, and who cares? The monopoly that once existed is irrelevant now. It's as if all the buggy whip manufacturers got together in collusion after everyone in America bought a car. Makes no difference.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Given that AT&T(i.e Cingular) and Verizon are the largest cell phone providers as well as land line providers, not really.

Verizon owns so much of the backbone of the 'net that they probably even make money on VOIP.

B

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You have a good point, however, people still have alternatives.

Let's say someone's landline provider is Verizon. If they're unhappy with their service, 30 years ago, they had absolutely no options. Now, if they're unhappy with their service, they have the option of getting a cell phone. And if they're unhappy with Verizon landline, then they're probably not going to go with Verizon Wireless.

Despite VZW and ATT being the 2 biggest cell carriers, there are other alternatives, and if someone goes with VZW or ATT for cellular when they're dissatisfied with their landline service from the same company, then they need their head examined.

Vonage is obviously a VoIP alternative to landline if someone's not satisfied with their service. While VZ or ATT may be making money from Vonage for using the backbone, your average consumer won't know or won't care that thier money is still going to their former provider, but as long as Vonage's prices are right and the service is good, they're happy.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, but as the merger indicates. These companies ain't going nowhere. They own the wires and will find a way to make money off of them.

Choice is good and I'm all for it.

For the first time I can remember I actually am in a situation where I can actually choose landline cable/telephony providers. Verizon is coming out to install FiOS voice and data service next week, and I'm seriously thinking of switching from DirecTV to FiOS TV as soon as I can. As such Verizon will be getting even more of my money. At the same time, Time Warner cable is trying to get into the voice service market as well as cable and data.

B

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

which is why few choose to use those wires anymore.

WIRELESS BABY!

;)

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

As has been said, consumers have other choices available to them today where there were none when ATT was broken up in the 80s.

To win approval, ATT agreed...

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wake me up when I can get always on 15/2 Mbps data service from a wireless company. for $35 a month. ;)

B