.Mac 3 on Friday

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chameeeleon, Apr 28, 2005.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    Appleinsider is reporting .mac will receive the overhaul it desperately needs on Friday to coincide with Tiger. New templates for Homepage (including new iPhoto and iMovie ones) will debut, along with (I'm assuming) Backup 3 that they reported on earlier. I still have high hopes for more storage space and faster iDisk speeds.
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    But why does apple have under "new to the store" .Mac It was put there when they updated the Powermacs aswell.
  4. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    I bet the box includes the new 3.0 apps, and probably a new packaging fold-out interior. They added the family pack too. I guess because they knew people who ordered it wouldn't have it before Friday, so the overhaul "surprise" wouldn't be ruined.
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I too am hoping that more storage is in the offering for .Mac.
  6. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    Considering I get 4GB of space a year and a LOT more for $65 from hasweb.com... yeah, I'd hope you get a LOT more this time around. .Mac is a complete scam that caters to the unaware consumer.
  7. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Except that .Mac is SO much more than just storage. Yes, if all .Mac gave you was iDisk and email, it would be a scam. However with the back-up and syncing capacity, if you regularly use more than one Mac (home+work or tower+laptop) .Mac is MORE than worth the $99/year. Looks like the unaware customer here may be you. Of course, I only have one Mac, and so I'm not a subscriber and you may be an informed customer also with only one Mac, but don't make blanket statements like that, it's both naive and childish.
  8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Here are my blanket statements...
    ".Mac is the best service on the Internet for Mac users."
    ".Mac is the worst service on the Internet for Mac users."

I think it is a fair value since I can't sync all my Macs any other way. I like my .mac email address and the convenience of iDisk. I take advantage of the software discounts if it is something I would purchase anyways. I get my $99 bucks worth overall. I am glad the service is getting updated now instead of the Fall like I predicted.

I checked out hasweb.com and I might sign up for that service in addition to my .Mac subscription.