.mac account renewal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ljacky, May 9, 2005.

1. ljacky macrumors newbie

I just got the email telling me my .mac account will expire in 60 days. I am planning on renewing, does it matter if I renew now or will apple offer me some sort of deal as the dead line approches?

Cheers

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I highly doubt you'll get an offer as your deadline approaches, but at the moment you can get .mac at a reduced rate. In Denmark, you get a 200kr reduction. :)

Link.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, they're unlikely to offer you a discount. Do what Jaffa suggeted...order a physical .Mac box at a discounted price from Apple (at the moment) or anyone else you can find it from. You can use the code inside there to extend your current membership.

4. mauly macrumors 6502

Is .mac a must have? what are the reasons why I should buy it? :confused:

5. ljacky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I have an american billing address and card so can get it online for the same price as ordering the discounted one in denmark with out the hassle.

Cheers

.mac is in no way essensial if you only have one mac but is a quality produce at a fair price in my opinion. If you have multiple macs I think syncing ability alone is well worth it. I have used the email for the past year and the spam filters are very good compared to the filter on my work account. For people who are more hard core about their web pages the web service probably seems a bit mickey mouse but for a lay person like myself it has been nice to share photos with family and friends in the states with out any hassle.

6. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

So this currently discounted .Mac box at the moment WILL work for renewals?

Has anyone actually renewed this way?

Also I'm down to about 40 odd days left... should I let it run right down to one or two days before putting the new code in? or if I buy a new box this week -will my annual renewal date stay in June?

Cheers

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know about you, but I have my .Mac account set up to auto-renew itself when it expires (and auto-bill my credit card), so I don't have to worry about renewals. I'm not sure if that's possible from Denmark, though...

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, it'll work. It's just the regular .mac box – it's just a little cheaper at the moment. ;)

It doesn't matter when you put the code in. You could do it now or the day before it expires – it'll just add the year on (ie, if your renewal date is 20 June 2005 and you put a new code in today, your new renewal date will be 20 June 2006).

Hope that makes sense!

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes. I've renewed with a .mac box. You can do it whenever you like since it will add the year to your current renewal date. I put one in in November 04 (from my Regent St lucky bag) that renewed my March 05 subscription to expire in 06 and then bought another one at an Apple Store event to get 10% off my HD which I put in last month to renew .mac to March 07.

10. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Thanks Jaffa Cake and Applespider!

You both have helped me out!
    I will go grab a new current box while they are a bit cheaper...
    saves AUD$30 I think (or even USD$30 if I was still over there!)

Glad it is happening at the moment to benefit from the current deal which finishes later this month.

Thanks again guys.