.Mac Account - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HelixOmnimedia, Nov 10, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hi

I have recently created a site using iWeb which showcases my script writing work from university - but I've got a lot more on-going projects, so it'll become a Virtual Series website in the future.

Is a .Mac Account worth it?
    i'll just be using it for "publishing" the iWeb Web Site. I don't see me using any of the other features., saying that i know little of what else the .Mac Account Offers.

Thanks for any advice:D

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If all you'll be doing is uploading web pages, I recommend A Small Orange. If you're not going to use much, their prices are very reasonable. If you have more disk/bandwidth needs and aren't too picky about uptime, Dreamhost is pretty decent as well. .Mac seems like it might be a waste for you.

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Depends on your needs and the individual. I personally love my .mac account. I like being able to sync all my macs, desktop, laptop and office mac together with a click of a button (syncs iCal, mail settings, mail, bookmarks just to name a few). I also like the ease of use, iWeb just makes it even easier. I know how to code, have server space also and yet I prefer to use .mac for my own personal needs. I wouldn't worry about bandwidth, I host movies and photos and have never had any issues.

4. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

If all you need is webspace then the price might outweigh its worth. However if you read more about what it has to offer than you may find it worth it if those things appeal to you. It has alot to offer and I would suggest going and reading about it. Also having all the things it does very well integrated into OSX is worth its weight in gold. I use almost 80% of its features every day and I think its features outweigh its worth. Whether ot be the free back up software, my iweb space, the syncing of my three machines, the learning center or even the ability to access alot of my info from any computer .. its worth it. YOu are gonna get alot of completely contrasting answers and I dont think any of them nor my answer will answer that question for you. You should go and read the different features and if you think it is worth it than buy it.

Kevin

5. Fredou51 macrumors regular

I am looking for web hosting for my future podcast. What is the monthly bandwidth limit with .mac? I can't find it anywhere on the .mac website.

Thanks,

Frederic

6. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I know a lot of ISP's will give you some webspace to play around with, but not much.

There's always Angelfire too :D

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

No, .Mac is not worth it regardless of what your using it for. It's an expensive email account, really.

Go for 'A Small Orange' for your Web Hosting, great company.

8. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

10 GB of transfers per month

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Make that a VERY expensive email account. Totally not worth it. Unfortunately I dont know what would make it worth the money. I believe Apple dont know either thats why its just 'there'.

10. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Since I'm very ignorant of most web hosting sites, could anybody tell me what other options I have besides .mac that will allow me to sync all my bookmarks, addresses, and calendars across all my macs, along with being able to publish my webpages tremendously easy?

I'd happily pay less than the $79 renewal that I buy from amazon every year if there was a service that did all of this? Is there?

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Are you being sarcastic?

I am aware of all the other stuff .mac allows you to do (syncing etc) but it is still not worth it for $80 a year.

A good start would be too boost the storage amount to a few gig at least.

My addresses and calendars are all on my phone. Put there by iSync. My phone is always with me so I dont need to sync with other macs.

I only keep a few bookmarks and they are simple enough to create.

I use iWeb and publish my sites using an automator script in seconds - before .mac even connects (i had a trial) the script has already uploaded my sites.

Totally not worth $79.

12. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like .mac

We have the family pack.

It's expensive if your just using it for email, but I use mine for syncing macs, hosting websites & blogs etc.... if you use it - it's worth it.

14. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I'm not being sarcastic.

Your situation isn't mine.

"My addresses and calendars are all on my phone. Put there by iSync. My phone is always with me so I dont need to sync with other macs. "

Mine aren't and I do need to sync with other macs.

"I only keep a few bookmarks and they are simple enough to create."

I have hundreds, many of which aren't simple enough to create.

Your situation isn't like mine or one that would need the syncing features. Obviously .mac isn't gear to your needs.

My question still remains. Somebody name a service that provides every feature that .mac does. Or even name individual services and their prices so I can compare prices.

15. Fredou51 macrumors regular

I just found on the .mac page that if you upgrade the storage, you upgrade the transfer as well. It says that if you buy 4 GB of space, you get 250GB of transfers per month. What, then would be the transfers per month on 2 GB of storage?

16. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

i would think so

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thats the one like. However, I dont need all the extra syncing and such. Good if you need it, but even if you do, still damn expensive.

18. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i've seen a few people with the multi-page bookmark lists. i don't know you, and i sure as hell don't know your situ, but really, what is the ****ing point?

by and large the few people i've seen with enough browser bookmarks to flood the screen like katrina have come off more as unorganized hoarders than masters of the web domain.

19. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Sorry to have offended your sensibilities. I guess by your standards you asked the same question when the iPod was introduced. Because, really, what is the "****ing point"? I could carry around my entire case of 152 CD's with a $12.99 portable CD player. But for $300 more, I can make my life alot easier by purchasing the iPod.

Another analogy would be to ask what the "****ing point" of purchasing any vehicle other than a bare bones model. Because anything other than four wheels and and seat, really, what is the "****ing point"?

Still, nobody has given me any options to all .mac has to offer. Heated responses like this, instead of actual answers, usually means nobody has an answer.

20. slientkiller macrumors newbie

slientkiller

It depends...
    I have a .mac account. I think itz pretty fine.
    But you should know how will you use your .mac account.
    If you just simply use it for an email account that will be expensive, and an extremely expensive email account. But if you use it for sync for your cal appointments, your bookmarks, and everything that makes you access your own mac anywhere in the world. That will be a good deal, especially your job needs you go to everywhere like sales or something. And iDisk is pretty good because you can store your own documents, i mean documents. Like some improtant files. I remebered last time my mac was broken and my history assignments were not there, cuz i didnt have an account at that time. AND I SUCKED!!! Cuz i HAD to redo my whole assignments. That is very very bad.
    So it depends. and it can be really helpful.:p