Mac Addict magazine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reflow, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

When did Mac addict change into Mac Life? Has anyone noticed a difference in the magazine and should I keep subscribing to it.

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well my subscription ran out and now gets this letter from Mac Life and open it up and found it's from Mac Addict

4. phil83 macrumors regular

This January/February Mac|Life

I usually pick up their magazine once month at borders and February was their first official magazine with the new name change. January issue was a sort of preview of the new style of how the magazine is going to be.

I really like the name change because it expresses more of what the magazine is about.

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The two have recently merged. Mac Addict is now partnered with Your Mac Life.
    (acquired by Your Mac Life? certainly that Shawn guy doesn't have the resources. Or does he?)

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Received a MacAddict subscription for Xmas, I noticed in a recent edition they had a MacLife preview... still waiting for my first subscribed copy though.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

yeah, I got a letter in the mail inviting me to get one issue free and then a sub for ... can't remember $20? It was quite a good offer so my request is in the mail!

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I got my first issue last week. Mag is a bit bigger, better quality paper and seems to have more pages (not only ads). I used to receive all 3 Macs mags and now only receive this.

9. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yea that's the same letter I got. It was for 19.95

10. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Me too... but I never had a MacAddict subscription. :confused:

11. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I've been getting MacAddict for about 9 of their 10 years. So far, I like the new Mac | Life, I think in general it is a better magazine, although you feel a little less cozy with the writers. They have a lot of their old stuff and have added new things as well. There seems to be more material than with MacAddict. MacAddict has always been my favorite magazine, so we'll see how it goes over the next couple of months. Also, the disc does not come with the magazine anymore. Instead, there is an online resource which I haven't checked out yet.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I heard Shawn and the crew from Your Mac Life were less than impressed about the name change. I certainly hadn't heard that they'd merged.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It seems a bit strange since there was already a Mac Life magazine in Japan.

I hope in the transition from MacAddict that they're not making the magazine thinner.

14. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Oh, you should totally buy this month's issue. Since I'm in it. And I rock.

15. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

It's awful

Having read the first issue of MacLife... I want Mac Addict back. The artwork is garish. The articles are short and cursory. The magazine appears oriented to 15 year olds, in my opinion. If you have not guessed, I am appalled.

By the way, is there any way to get a subscription to iCreate out of Britain? Now that is a beautiful and nicely written periodical! But it only seems to be available at stores such as Barnes and Noble/Borders.

16. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Yes, you can get a subscription to iCreate, but it's pricey. I think 80 british pounds for 13 issues (not sure what that translated to - I want to say close to $140 US, but I could be wrong).

https://secure.widearea.co.uk/cisubs/IMAG/ICR/WEB003

17. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Closer to $160 (GBP1~US$1.97)

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I wonder if this means that mine will be in the mail soon. I've been wondering what happened to it... I wonder how it compares to macworld....

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, but has the magazine changed at all?

20. bwv1060 macrumors newbie

iCreate is available from Amazon for $150.

21. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Actually... I see your point.... maybe it's only just slightly worse....

By the by, if anyone needs/wants to read a really beautifully written magazine, check out Wooden Boat magazine. I have subscribed for years. It is superbly written and the photography is stunning. William F Buckley (no literary slouch) once called it the best written periodical in the English language!

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I liked the enthusiasm of MacAddict but I didn't find the enthusiasm followed up by professional work. The same company had a small group of magazines advocating enthusiasm but lacked the polish to really drive readership. The price wasn't exactly good, disc included or not. I hope they become better and stronger because we could really use a good magazine made in the U.S.A.

That said, MacFormat is the only Mac-oriented magazine that I actually like. At roughly $15, it's too much to buy every month. I used to subscribe to MacUser (U.S.A.) before it collapsed and MacTech, which is definitely professional but never seemed to have a direction.

The trouble with all of these magazines is that they need advertising and apparently companies can't determine what Mac sales they glean from advertising in Mac-oriented magazines.

23. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

24. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

wait... whaat? how did you get in it?

25. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, my issues of Mac | Life came and I have to say that I think it is a far superior magazine to mac world. One reason is that Mac World does not seem too interested in less directly related products - I can't imagine Mac World running an issue just on nicely designed products - computer related or not! I also think that the level of journalism is better... and the paper is nicer!

I'm a convert.