mac alternative to comcast photoshow??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GrannySmith_G5, Mar 10, 2007.

1. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

Here's the deal. My Moms computer(pc) has basically died and being the wonderful son I am - I'm giving her my old iMac g4. All she uses the computer for is internet, email, light typing, and photos with her digital camera. So basically I gave the mac a clean tiger install and threw on ilife 06, and yeah she's basically all set. Here is the problem. For some unknown reason my mother loves photoshow which comes free through comcast and is Windows only. She uses this at least twice a week to send friends emails of these horrible slideshows she makes. Unbelievably I cant seem to find a mac alternative. Sure there are slideshow programs, but I need something very very simple to use - plug in camera - choose music and transitions- click a button and it uploads.

Anyone know any programs or websites that I can get/signup for?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I too gave my mother my old iMac when her PC died. My mother never used the photoshow program, but what she does now is put her photos in iPhoto and either emails them out or uploads then to flickr and uses the flickr slide show.

3. GrannySmith_G5 thread starter macrumors 6502

i was thinking iphoto but its not quite what she would like. I guess I'm looking into sort of a flickr site with music photo slideshows. I'm heading there this afternoon so I'm going to keep researching here.

4. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

I've also been looking for something like the free comcast photoshow, an app that would make flash based slideshows for display in a web browser. It would have to be easy to use, cheap or better yet free. Something like pics2exe for windoze, but for us.

5. WCunha macrumors member

My wife just got PhotoShow 5 from a friend. She loves it and is using it on our Dell. It seems to work good she can email her slideshows to her friends and family but, I would like her also to be able to use our MacBook Pro for these things. Does iPhoto do anything like this?

This is our first Mac and I'm a little discouraged. She seems to have an easier time using the PC for pictures slideshows etc instead of the Mac. It seems like I might have made the wrong discision when purchasing a new laptop. I think a Dell might have been the better choice. So, far it doesn't seem easier.

Thanks.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can create a slideshow and click the "File->Export" menu item and save the mov and drag that file to the mail icon.

7. WCunha macrumors member

It doesn't work nearly as easily as PhotoShow 5. Also, you upload the slideshow and the link gets emailed. I thought Mac stuff was upposed to be easier?

Any alternatives that work the same.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe something like this?

http://www.verticalmoon.com/products/swfnslide/

Although I do have to say that there are two fairly disappointing things about this app -- first, it has no direct iPhoto integration. You can drag and drop photos from iPhoto into it, but it cannot look for iPhoto albums and does not put in a menu item in iPhoto or anything like that; second, it does not support AAC (although it does support MP3), making all the music in my iTunes useless.... :rolleyes:

9. WCunha macrumors member

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and I will take a look at when I have more time to mess around with it.

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I don't understand what you guys are complaining about. Using iPhoto to make slideshows is ridiculously easy.

11. WCunha macrumors member

12. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Yes I have
    Export to Quicktime and email.

Its so simple I can't fathom why anyone would look to 3rd party software for this.

13. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Maybe it is because I don't use iPhoto? iPhoto doesn't handle RAW files. I also don't want to email the slideshow to anyone. I want to put it on a webpage as a flash slideshow.

I hadn't seen this one before. Pretty close to what I was looking for, so thank you for posting it.