Mac and advertisement, movies and stuff.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rafael Perini, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Rafael Perini macrumors newbie

Interesting thoughts:

*90 to 95% of worlds computer uses PC based machines.

1) 80 to 85% of Non PC related advertisement that shows a computer (desktop or Laptop) uses a Machintosh. Usually not showing the Apple brand.

2) 60 to 70% of movies, when the computer plays a major or important role, the computer is an Apple one.

3) 50 - 60% of non PC related advertisement that shows a computer video caption shows it on a Mac (usually OS9) window instead of the PC one.

Well, the numbers might not be exactly those, but I believe that is pretty close to that. I know that everybody might notice how often we seen the little apple in the big/small screen. I wonder the following things:

1) What is the role for this "passive" advertisement (there is a special name for this, please help me...). Do Apple gives (lends) the computer to those advertisement? Even when not showing the brand? I know that they probably uses Macs because they are prettier, cooler etc, right? Not because 5% of market uses them

2) Regarding movies: Does Apple need to pay anything to be "casted"? Or its justs a preference because of the cosmetic look again?

3) Screen capture mac: Why we seen this a lot? Is it because the media guys (producers, and all the staff that works with advertisment) uses mac instead of PC?

Well, I appeciate some light in this matter and some examples from different advertisemnts/movies etc from all over the world.

Rafael

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Hmmm....

Interesting.

I read somewhere (I believe it was on the Apple page, actually) that Apple does have a product placement person, but that the majority of the Macs you see in ads are put there without Apple's help/donation.

I figure that OS 9 windows show up in a lot of ads because so many design/media people use Macs. It is remarkable how often this is true.

This is why Apple is one of the most well established brands out there. In fact, last year it was the most reconizable brand according to one report I saw (it got some attention on the Mac news sites).

Matthew

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Anyone know?

I went to Apple's site and couldn't find the article about Mac placement in the media.

Does anyone know the article I'm talking about?

Matthew