Mac and Linux Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mike9010, Aug 6, 2002.

1. mike9010 macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am trying to network a linux box and a tibook running OS X (10.1.5). I am curious if any of you have any tips, or possibly online links to tutorials covering this?

I have tried samba, but to no avail. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help you provide.
  2. balliet macrumors member

Dec 21, 2001
    I'd just use NFS. See "man 5 exports" for help on the linux side. On the OS X side there is a porgram called "NFSManager" (probably on versiontracker) that will handle the netinfo configuration for the NFS server.

To mount your Linux volume on OS X just use the "connect to server" option in finder and enter "nfs://mylinuxbox/some/dir"

To mount your os x volime on linux, just run mount myosxbox:/some/dir /mnt/whatever

This little explanation probably wasn't detailed enough. I am sure there are a few NFS howtos out there, check out

You could also used samba too, but using a windows protocol for going from unix to unix is kinda dumb :)

3. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

what do you mean by network? just transfer files? Remotly log in? Secure connections? Mounting drives or folders on the other computer?

4. UncleRage macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2002
    Hey Mike --

If you want to use Samba, I'd recommend starting here:

I personally utilize Netatalk. I've found it provides seemless support for my network (two Linux boxes -- 1 YDL 2.3 & 1 RH 7.2 -- an OS X box & a powerbook running 8.6 & 9.2). You can find more about Netatalk here:

Balliet also makes a good point (concerning NFS). It really comes down to what you want to do. If it's just swapping some files -- NFS is quick and easy. If you want to share peripherals... you might find Netatalk to offer a more robust solution.

Either way, good luck.