Mac and Mobile Phones

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by omtatsat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. omtatsat macrumors member

omtatsat

Am wanting to buy a Mobile phone. Most of them are not compatible with macintosh computer. Would anyone know which Mobile phones I can use with Macintosh.

Thanks

Keith Dean

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

great question, there's a page somewhere on the apple site that tells you, try search for iSync on there.

I have a 'not that old' Samsung D600 which isnt compatible.. bummer. I'd also like to look at a new phone this year or next... I'm holding out for the new Apple Phone (if/when it happens)

good luck

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

There's actually a list of phones which are compatible with iSync here. It also details which phones are capable of certain features. I use my Nokia 6280 with my Mac and haven't really run into any problems yet. :)

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thats the phone I have too :D I havent plugged it into my Mac yet. Can you install the Nokia software that it comes with as well on the mac?

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You can't install the software (as far as I know), and I only ever connect it via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth manager on the Mac makes it easy to transfer files back and forth and iSync works well with Address Book (it should also work with iCal, but I haven't tried that out yet).

6. omtatsat thread starter macrumors member

omtatsat

mobile

thanks for help. Mac users seem to be a bit "left out in the cold". Maybe a good reason to change to Windows or buy a Windows compatible Mac!!!!!

7. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I disagree with that statement.

iSync allows flawless (nearly!) synchronization with apple's iCal and Address Book programs, what more synchronization could you want?

Bluetooth allows for wireless transfer of all files, movies and photos to and from your phone, all without cables or crappy software installed, what more could you want?

I much prefer this to having to install third party software that forces itself to run on startup and creates extra menus everywhere and crashes and requires registration etc.

Its personal preference, but the mac way is my way.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

When is Balmer going to stop posting here?

9. demallien macrumors regular

Huh?!? No, you have it all wrong my friend. Macs LOVE mobile phones. I let my flatmate synch her's to an account on my iMac because she can't get the proprietary software (Nokia) to work correctly on her PC. The problem is that ActiveSynch is actively broken on Windows, whereas iSynch on the mac "Just Works (tm)". There is literally nothing easier than synching phones and macs.

10. Lau Guest

Agreed — third party software in inevitably dreadful. I much prefer the simple way of using a few nice integrated apps that came with the Mac. :)

11. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Along with iSync and Bluetooth, my Razr V3 couldn't be happier or easier to use with my Mac.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Am curious who your service provider is?

In the US, Verizon has crippled the RAZR's ability to sync to a Mac. Address book works fine, but calendars won't move over at all.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If anything, Mac's are more compatible with cell phones. You don't need to install the (usually Windows only) craptacular synching software just to transfer files, unless you have a phone from a provider that cripples such features. iSync supports a very decent number of brands and models and there are sometimes plugins for ones that aren't supported by Apple.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I sync to my Sony Ericsson w810i all the time over Bluetooth and it works flawlessly, and more important, it's very easy. Much better than it would work on Windows (I remember the hell I had on Windows just to get it to see the phone for obex transfer, I didn't even dare attempt syncing contacts and calendars with anything)

15. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I'm with Rogers in Canada.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, are you just trolling? :rolleyes: You started this thread out with a foregone conclusion.... Most Bluetooth phones, aside from the ones that run Palm or WM, are supported out of the box. Mark/Space provides software that supports most Palm and WM phones.

It's true that one cannot just pick up any random phone off the street and expect it to work with a Mac. But I've very rarely really wanted a phone and found I couldn't get it for this reason.

Also, where is the list of phones that are supported for Outlook sync on a Windows XP computer without third party software? I didn't even think XP even *has* such a feature....

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As far as it looks in the UK, virtually all Nokia, Motorola and Sony Ericsson phones are supported, Palm and Windows Mobile phones are supported with Mark/Space. Samsung, LG, Siemens, Panasonic and other makes are generally unsupported with iSync.

When iSync works it is amazing and most phone shops (at least in Oxford) know about which phones are compatible too. I know of no-one who uses a PC (which is practically everyone I know) who syncs their contacts/calendar with their computer.