Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaracz88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Toronto, ON
I need to be able to transfer files between my dekstop PC and my iBook while at home. Right now, I'm using a D-Link router, the desktop is connected using ethernet cable to the router and the notebook is conencted via airport card. But I have an extra ethernet cable if it's required.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? Do I have to set up a file server? Do I have to plug one end of ethernet into the PC and one end into the iBook? I'm sorry, but I'm really confused.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
How about this.

Right now you have a network established between the Mac and the PC. It will work just like it is now. There are some things that you have to set up though.

A) If you want to set up a server on the PC-

(I only have a basic knowledge of how to do this) Right click on the folder you wish to share, go to Properties, and there will be some options about sharing. Turn the ones on that say something like "Share this folder" or something like that.

B) If you want to set up a server on the Mac-

Go into the System Preferences, click on Sharing. Under the Services tab, turn on the checkbox next to Windows Sharing. You are now shared.

To access a share -

From the Mac

In Panther (10.3)
Open a new Finder window and click the Network box in the far left column. You will be presented with the windows share. Double click it and log in. Now you should see all the windows files that you have shared.

In Jaguar (10.2)
Press Command(Apple) + K to bring up the connect to server dialog. Then page through the columns to find your PC.

From the PC

Go to the Network Neighborhood and find the Mac, double click and log in.

Please correct me on anything and everything if any part of this is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.