mac and pocket pc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ipaqman, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    hey everyone,

i am a long time mac user and have a palm os handheld. (treo 600). i am looking to get the new hp ipaq h6310 (pocket pc) when it comes out. how easily does it sync with the mac. is the operating system similar to pocket pc. is there any mac skins for pocket pc?

let me know if any of you use a pocket pc with your mac.

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I bought PocketMac and was very disappointed in it. Basically, it's very slow (7 minutes to sync) and buggy. You might try Missing Sync.

The other problem is the client apps. You've been spoiled by Palm Desktop. There are major problems here.

iCal looks pretty, but it's very clumsy and stupid. Editing To-do items in iCal is just plain terrible.

If you have MS Office, you can use Entourage. This is much better - you can sort tasks, altho you can't categorize them, and adding and editing them is reasonably easy. However, I'm not sure Missing Sync syncs with Entourage yet.

Memos go into files - these may be difficult to deal with. PocketMac used proprietary formats, and had lots of trouble syncing files. Missing Sync may be better.

If you don't use To Do items, iCal may be usable for you.

I wrestled with this for a couple of months before abandoning the whole thing. The user experience was awful. I would strongly recommend sticking with Palm.
  3. kidA macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    there is a windwblinds program for pocketpc that lets you skin. there are several mac os x skins--an aqua one, brushed metal, etc. windowblinds lets you skin the whole thing--the taskbar and all. the problem with this is that since it's not really native to the OS, it can performance a little bit and cause some instability. i haven't used it for about a year though. might be better and less noticeable with one of the newer faster machines. you can always have today screen skins (MS cals them themes) though. but this only affects the today screen.

there are a few programs for syncing with a mac that give you pretty much full functionality. mark/space makes one called the missing sync for pocket pc. there is another one called pocketmac. pocketmac was first but i've heard good things about both recently. plus they're pretty similar costwise. i sync my pocket pc with a pc, not a mac, which is easiest.
  4. dopefiend macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
  5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    i *FULLY* intend on getting a pocketpc before the summer is through, in time for my next semester at school.

I planned on getting MissingSync, so we'll see how this goes.
  6. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    thanks for your help. i will get missing sync later on in the summer when i get my ipaq. let me know if anyone uses missing sync with their pocke pc.

much appreciated,