.Mac and SprintPCS errors

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pismo, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I'm trying to add my .Mac account to my SprintPCS phone so I can check my .Mac e-mail when I'm away from my computer. I tried adding the account and it gives me an error but doesn't say what the problem is. Does Apple/SprintPCS support this? All it asks me for is my user name, password, and the port. Has anyone been able to get their account to work on their phones?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Are you able to connect to the web? Or are you trying to use the Mail app? Some more details on what you are wanting/trying to do would help. I have the LG 5350 and have been able to do both so far.

3. Pismo thread starter macrumors 6502

Pismo

I have a Sanyo SCP-7300 phone. Along with my SprintPCS e-mail account, I'm trying to add my .Mac account to my phone so I can check my .Mac e-mail from my phone as well. I am able to surf the web and use my Sprint e-mail on my phone. Here's the web-based setup I go through and the error I get...

I go through the setup of adding my .Mac account, then I click Done. Then I get a pop up javascript window, then I see at the bottom of there page that there was an error with that account. What gives? Am I using the correct port number? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Shouldn't the server name be mail.mac.com?

5. Pismo thread starter macrumors 6502

Pismo

I tried that and it still doesn't work.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Have you tried this?:

7. Pismo thread starter macrumors 6502

Pismo

Well, it fixed the problem I'm having with Mail while I'm at college (they block port 25), but it doesn't fix the problem with my phone still. Thanks anyway.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Great to hear. I wonder why it does not work for your phone dial-up. Who are you using?

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It's a cell phone. Sprint PCS. Read his first post.

You might get more exposure if an admin could move this to General Discussion.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think he and I are on the same page. It appears that he had problems accessing emails when on the Vision Network. And from what I could tell my suggestion, and the follow-up link solved the Vision Network problem with email from .Mac.

When I asked what he was using, I should have been more specific (hopefully he understood since he and I "connected" on the main issue), as to what dial-up service he was using.

In response to your last post, you might want to read through and see that it appears that it was port issue on the Vision Network. It seems that there may be other issues on his dial-up network.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What dial-up are you referring to? He is trying to access his email using WAP through his phone. Perhaps I am confused here. The issue you fixed where you "connected" was with his computer on a school network (notorious for blocking everything) which has nothing to do with his original question.

I guess when I hear the term dial-up, I think of a modem attached to a computer. There is no modem involved here, just a cell phone that accesses email using WAP. The screenshots he posted are from the sprintpcs website, where you configure all your mailboxes for your phone.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My apologies... i miss understood his last post. When I saw phone, my brain mis-fired and was thinking dial-up. Been reading too much about DUN's and BT phones on Sprint and the Mac in the last day or so.

Trying to dig up my config for the LG 5350 and see if I can provide some details for Pismo.

Again apologies for my misunderstanding...

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No worries. ;)

Just wish I could help the poster out with his prob. I doubt its a port issue with .Mac email, I am guessing it has to do with the hostname. Of course you have triple checked your username/password, Pismo?

It shouldn't be any more difficult than this.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=153262

Another thought is that Apple is blocking Sprint from retreiving your mail. But that seems far fetched.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

You need to access the email through the web on the telephone. The built-in mail client in the phone is for corporate email systems.