mac and teething problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by likosoad, Jul 21, 2005.

1. likosoad macrumors member

I am about to buy a new powerbook 15 inch this month. The site is advicing not to do that, because it's near the end of a cycle. But I was wondering, if apple does bring out a new powerbook, a totally new one. Won't it have teething problems? Does anyone know if the former powerbooks and iBooks had any problems in the beginning?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I think you're safe to buy, personally. If you can wait, see what Mac Expo Paris has to offer in September.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple usually does a good job of testing. But when there are problems, Revision A's are usually the ones having them. I personally would never buy the first Revision. Powerbooks are $2000+. I'd rather be on the safe side.

4. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

5. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Teething

The first painful experience that a new human goes through as he grows into his final form as an adult.

Or the painful experience that a new hardware form factor goes through as it grows into its final form.

6. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

oooooooo ok. wait...then shouldn't that mean it gets better as time goes on? cause i know rev a's are usually the worst, which makes perfect sense. it takes trial and errror and time to get a product right

7. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

buy the current model, it's a sweet machine, updates whenever

8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Hmmmm

You're right. I didn't think that one through. Teeth do get worse after they get better. Root canals and all. :)

Let's give this a try:

Expected pain and difficulties that occur at the early stages of a new person/product.

How's that? :D

9. likosoad thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help guys! :)
    In a week or so it's my birthday and I'm gonna buy the powerbook, can't wait.. :D

10. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I don't think there's any problem buying a rev A machine. Usually if there is a problem, it's not really that big of a deal, and if it is, Apple usually does something about it, like replace a part etc. Sure that can be a pain, but I don't really think it should keep people from buying computers.

11. iHacker macrumors member

Rev A's are ok

I dont think anyone should hesitae from buying a rev A. We are waiting so long so apple can make Rev A's have litle to no problems. ;) :cool:

12. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

Wait!

if Apple is bringing out a new line on PowerBooks I imagine it will be the bump to G5's, now if your not doing some pretty heavy video edits or huge photoshop
    files, the G4 current line should be fine .... but I just bought a G5 iMac the day after Apple anounced the new 2.0 iMac's , my retailer had a price drop of about
    $300 to $400, for the 1.8 I bought!!
    With the savings I bought more RAM and money left over!
    Just a thought!
    Randy