mac and windows bashing...

Discussion in 'Community' started by nbaker756, Aug 2, 2005.

1. nbaker756 macrumors member

i was browsing cnet and i saw the windows vista beta preview and then all the comments from windows users who bash mac os x and try to come up with reasons why windows is better. they then accuse mac users of being over zealous and physco for defending the company they love, but at the same time they are being over zealous too by saying its so much better when it hasnt even been released yet. me neighbor would always come over and for the last 4 years, he sees our mac and says, apples going to go under, they make crap. but do i shoot back and tell him hes wrong, no! i let him have his opinion. i dunno, all this bashing about stuff not even released gets me angry and when a person is a hypocrite gets me even angrier. :confused:

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

windows fanboys are pretty pathetic :rolleyes:

And take my advice, don't waste time at C|Net anymore, that site is just a waste of internet space and network bandwidth.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

When windows gets some of the awesome features and stability of OS X, they can start talking.
    But since that never will, they need to **** and gbtw.

on that, I got into a fight with the clerk at circuit city (I needed an ethernet cable.. THEY CHARGE FREAKING $14 FOR IT! I'm buying a new one in SF and returning it!)
    I asked if they had a Mac section; I was curious if they had the new mouse.
    "No, we only sell real computers here. Have you heard that Apple is switching to Intel?"
    I had to try so hard to NOT explain the economic and industry pressures that caused the switch to intel, the current PPC products that are awesome. I told him to go home, turn on his Dell, and cry when he got another virus.

I'm gonna return that cable out of spite!
    (Also, I'll just leech free wifi off some where near my hotel)

Hehe, I just finished reading a really funny flamewar on fark. Those windows users who are still "OMGWTFBBQ! ONE BUTTON!!1!!" No.
    Just....
    No.

4. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I guess ignorance begets ignorance. These windows fans ignore the fact that many high end professionals(journalists, educators, photographers and I'm sure may others) use macs exclusively.
    It's been about 2 years since I switched to mac and my appreciation for the mac has only increased. ( I'd been a PC user since the old 296 days)
    It's pretty amazing what has happened in 15 years of computer development.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Having been a dedicated PC user since the 8086 (until I bought a 1GHz 12" Powerbook the day there were announced), I think I can shed some light on this.

The people you see belittling Apple (hardware and software) are the same people you'd see wrapped up in the Linux Distribution Wars and dozens of other things that really don't mean much in end.

People actually have to learn to take the "best tool for the job" approach before they can look across the line and honestly consider Apple a viable platform, with the inverse (Apple to PC) holding equal truth. I know plenty of loyal diehard users on both sides and they spend rediculous amounts of time trying to solve problems that would be child's play if they had a Mac or PC handy.

Additionally, most of the people you'll find on those sites are young teenage males. They're notorious for having to establish some air of superiority and, if they can make your home computer or game console of choice perceptually inferior, they get their kicks and move on to the next menial task.

A lot of older professional-types (especially in highly technical fields) either embrace both platforms (in addition to Linux and anything else that's out there) or they hold to their native platform (be it Windows or Mac OS) out of fear to really dive into learning something new.

My manager at work is looking for a new computer for the house, but he's tired of maintaining a system that is regularly thrashed by his wife and kids. I told him to take an honest look at Apple's offerings and he said, "I really don't want to learn a new platform." I thought for a second and said, "You don't have to. You just use it. There's no real need to maintain it." He may have taken the bait, which will take one more safe haven for virii and spyware off the network.

In any case, don't pay much attention to the diehard fanboys. You'll find them in any argument in any field. They're usually the ones who are missing out due to their blind fanaticism.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that's probably one of the best analysis of the windows fanboy/mac zealot discussion groups i know.

i wonder how many of the windows fanatics (or mac fanatics) actually really professionally produce something with their machines. i guess most of them don't have a real use for the system. so the system and the machine itself become the focus of their attention.

it's the same with cars. most car fanatics can't even use the power of a toyota corolla but are discussing why every car with less torque than a BMW M5 is crap.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ditto to that. The argumentation approach is a black hole. Produce with your box and OS what you need to produce and keep learning.
    X

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Or, even better, learn to do it both ways! That's why I got into OS X ... It was something completely foreign to me. Now I find myself moving back and forth between OS X and Windows 2000/XP on a regular basis and I find little frustrations in each of them that are solved by the other.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That is probably the best proactive approach. I'm working on XP trying to learn it all with an intent to bridge cross platform (cultural) communication with our IT department and, slowly, think we're making progress. It requires a little humility along with some competence. Not that I profess to either, but recently in a conference setting (around 700 of our staff), our IT made the public statement, "if you have an Apple, then make applesauce". This was in response to an appeal from the floor to improve compatibility issues. Naturally, it pissed off all the Apple users, but in an effort to go the extra mile, I sent out and got some applesauce and publically presented it to the IT. That helped dissarm the unfortunate tension. "Both and" kind of thinking should also be included in "think different".
    X

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Katie, Your posts crack me up. I'll bet Mr. "Real Computer" didn't have an answer to that one!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

:shrugs: I use both platforms. I use Windows at work and a Mac at home. I'm more familiar with the Mac OS and all it's various shortcuts and methods of tinkering with it since I've been using it for far longer, but I'm working to get that proficient with Windows. Asthetics aside, Windows isn't bad. I just make sure my virus condom is on all the time.

Now if AutoDesk would port AutoCad to MacTel...

12. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

If they'd only just torture and execute a virus writer or two...... :rolleyes:

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You speak the truth!

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That and perhaps the execution of Mr. William Gates. :eek: :D ;)

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The familiar fanboy effect aside, isn't it astonishing to find comments such as these appearing in an institutional setting? When did they start hiring young teenage males in IT departments? Or are they just cases of arrested emotional development? Why does anyone need to coddle these people, instead of just telling them to grow up already?

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, it's similar in our company. it's not that we use macs because it's fun, we use them because certain scientific instruments and software run on them.

i would think it's IT's job to make things work. but some of them still don't get that. i can't say to my boss "thats the wrong project" because i can't do it. i have to learn how to do it.

same should be for IT. i thought there are enough unemployed IT people out there to make the ones who have a job understand that they need to improve their skills and not piss off the employer.

what are people gonna say?

yeah, well we have this 300 000 dollar machine, we did 500 experiments and one experiment costs 200 dollar and now we don't get the data to the server. let's drop the whole project. but that's o.k. because our IT doesn't like Apple.?!

17. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I say, let people use whatever operating system they want. The people who have the better one will be the ones who spend the least amount of time arguing about it, and the most time using their OS.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

the arguments AGAINST macintosh are always so weak. i even got one "retort" that made me sit, mouth agape, and stare for a moment because it was so stupid. my friend's little sister said she hates macintosh because it's too hard to use ( :rolleyes: ) and "because the buttons that close the windows are on the wrong side" that is when she got the *crickets chirping* followed by me saying:
    "if you could have a house that cleaned itself, didn't break down, was immune to invasion and totally secure, was beautiful and otherwise hassle free...... but the door handle was on the left side insted of the right sided placement you are used to... would you still say the same thing?"

that is when i got the *crickets chirping* silence... naturally she had no answer to that. she smiled and seemed to concede that i got her there ;)

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I like that! It PERFECTLY describes OS X.
    *golf clap*

OOfah, and the people who say that Macs are too expensive? I'd like to see them get a non-Mac computer that can do everything a Mini can do, right outta the box.
    Yea, those $399 Dells? Don't forget the $99 shipping! Try to find a free (with OS) version of Garageband, iMovie (windows movie maker doesn't even begin to compare.), blady yada yada yada.

The Anti-mac-because-of-cost people make me wanna tear out my hair.
    I should school them in the economics of getting a Mac.

/supply and demand
    //wage curve?
    ///GREENSPAN!

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree, iBlue, your analogy is pretty amusing! But get this guys (er, gals), I still get the, "Apples can't use 2-button mice." :eek: I'm sorry, Mac-users are dumb? :rolleyes:

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I do photography as a side career and when I am confronted with a pc fan boy I just say that "I find it hard to do serious work on the PC". I don't say the PC sucks and start a war I just offer my side from a production point of view. That usually shuts them up and allows them to at least respect that I just use what works for me. Add in a few more lines about virii, lost data, and down time and that is almost always enough to win these types of arguments, at least for me.

Oh, and an innocent query about their uptime on the pc is always nice to throw in. :D

22. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The fanboyism goes both ways here folks. Don't forget that... :rolleyes:

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah... but *this side* of the fanbase is justified ;) ;) ;)

24. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, I can be prety objective.

I just got a new Dell Dimension 4700 with a P4 HT at 3.20GHz, 2GB of RAM, 160GB HDD and a 20" wide aspect flat panel.

Setting up one of these things is a nightmare. Took an hour to get it to connect to my home network. I have to see another "wizard...I'll crap freak.

"You're virus protection needs registering"

"A Windows update is avilable"

"You must register your MS Office"

EVERY FREAKING TIME THEW COMPUTER STARTS UP.

Finally go onto the Internet, registered and updated everything, and it is pretty much leaving me alone.

Installing programs - what a pain in the butt. Installshield blah de blah, restart, restart again.

Why do people put up with this obtuse pile of crap?

By the way, the Dell monitor is nice, but now where as nice as the ACD - just my opinion.

End of the day: Windows is just crap, clunky, insecure, ugly and inefficient.

That's unbiased, I just dealt with it for 6 hours.

I got my PowerMac, plugged it in, it recognized my AirPort and off I went.

5 minutes.

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

{{{hugs}}} how's that thing doing on the floor? :D (i still have to laugh at the way you described pointing at it [i imagine with disgust] when you father came over)

hahaha, {{{hugs again?}}} :p