Mac and Windows equal in security problems

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 12, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This article starts out trying to be very scathing, but the author keeps backing up until he trips over the curb and falls on his... assertion. :p

4. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I suppose a point by point rebuttal is required,but I'm tired so, TOSSER!

5. macrumors 603

wordmunger

The article simply asserts that Firefox and Mac are equally vulnerable to attack compared to Windows. No evidence, other than to show that they are theoretically vulnerable. Whereas Windows has thousands of actual attacks and known weaknesses.

6. macrumors 65816

GodBless

And your proof? None.

No read here to see about Tiger's security enhancements:http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security/

WHAT?! Unix is just as vulnerable as poorly coded Windows to security problems?! WHAT?!

It seemed like just after the cnet articles were getting better the eweek articles were getting worse for Mac OS X. Maybe Microsoft's contract with cnet expired and cnet didn't want to contract with them again so Microsoft contracted with eweek instead.

7. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I agree completely.

It would be nice if FOR ONCE an article about computer security, and the ability to penetrate the computer, was written by someone who anything about computers.

Hmmmm, so what he's saying is that the UNIX base does nothing to help the security of the computer? Moreover, that the systems (OS X and XP) were written the same and that's the reason for their equal security?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that virus writers use Linux. 1) Why would someone write a virus for their own system? 2) There are a large amount of people unhappy with MS and I have no doubt that some have taken it out on MS's OS. 3) In reference to the previous quote, wouldn't a Linux programmer know a thing or two about UNIX that would give them an edge over Mac OS X.

8. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I'm having a difficult time grasping the "big picture" of that article - a sure sign that it isn't written as well as it could be.

The author brings up some valid points, but, like mkrishnan said, trips and stumbles at the end.

9. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Thought this might get a response, that it why I labeled it as OPINION :)
    enjoy ;)

10. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

11. macrumors 6502a

lets avoid giving him tooo much credit… journalist? :p

12. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I mean that in the new definition of journalist, as supported by the EFF. That is, anybody that has written something somewhere at sometime.
    :)

13. macrumors 6502a

paulypants

An old and stale argument without any proof (as usual)
    Pure FUD...

"The last few days have been embarrassing ones for Windows alternatives"

The only thing embarrassing that I've seen is that article.

14. macrumors 68020

daveL

Is it just me or does the latest batch of "OS X Security Problems" smell at bit like Billy Boy opening his wallet to buy some bad press for Apple?

15. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

I knew. . .

I knew, when I saw the headlne, that this was going to be an eWeek article. They have no credibility.

16. macrumors 6502

The beginning of the next Astroturf campaign.

You nailed it. Microsoft invented the Astroturf technique in the 90's and they've been buying 'journalists' for the last decade. The really sad thing is the number of pathetic losers that think they're clever pundits while they regurgitate the FUD they've been feed by Microsoft's minions, and they aren't even on Microsoft's payroll.

I predict we'll be seeing a lot of clueless Microsoft apologists trying to hold the fort for the next year-and-a-half while Redmond tries to roll out Long-wait. When they finally do, the Microsoft thralls will probably have a fairly good OS, if you don't mind getting permission from Redmond every time you want to install software or change your hardware. But it won't be as good as Tiger, let alone 10.5, which we'll be enjoying on our Mac's by then.

But all of this is a carefully orchestrated distraction from the main event. Microsoft is happy to milk the Windows/Office franchise for as much as it can, but it's focus has moved to from the office to the living-room and the rest of the 'digital lifestyle.' Xbox, Media Centres, Mobile systems, and the content these devices provide is where Microsoft plans to build their next hegemony.

But they've got an uphill battle. Their brand is not something the average consumer trusts or even likes. And, unlike a computer for work, people are more emotional about their personal devices, making brand loyalty a bigger issue. On the other hand, fifty-billion dollars can buy a lot of loyalty :(

Just some random thoughts...

Cheers

17. macrumors 6502

"The barriers to entry for Mac malware are much higher, both in terms of writing it and getting it to spread. This isn't because the Mac operating system is more secure, but because there are so many fewer Macs, and fewer qualified developers."

Honestly, I read the tile and passed on reading the article but this quote fascinated me. These two lines are a classic non sequitur. Fewer Macs or fewer developers do not create a barrier, it may create less of a incentatve. A smaller bullseye does not make it more bullet proof. Barriers may be a tougher authentication regiment or no open ports by default. It indicates an intellectual laziness, poor use of the language or just plain ignorant.

18. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I think tomorrow's "daily" poll should be "How many viruses have you had in OSX". I'd check "0".

19. macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol inevitable FF spy/malware? Where is it? I will soon be using FF for 2 full years, and I don't think that all of a sudden IE-like vulnerabilities will be opening up.

"One day in the distant, your car will break down. Yes, even a Honda." - author of eWeek article.

He thinks [Man...I'm such a good journalist. I can tell the future.]

20. macrumors 68020

daveL

It's a reference to recent press concerning Tiger Widgets being auto-installed; it's fixed in 10.4.1, which will probably be out next week.

21. macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Oh god please just.. people are so dumb.

Who wrote this? I didn't bother to look. How much is MS paying him?

Snort. What a load of bullocks. I'm not even English and I say that.

22. macrumors 68020

So... how much is true?

Seriously that is about the dumbest thing about OS X i ever read.

"Uh... Windows has 76,000 + viruses but because macs have patches for download its very insecure"

23. slb
    macrumors 6502

Anyone else notice eWeek has been running negative Apple articles since Tiger's release? Every time I see a negative article on MacBytes, I look over and see "eweek.com." Look and see for yourself.

24. Guest

iGary

OK, everyone here affected by malware, viruses, trojans or worms with OS X say so.

*crickets*

At least Apple fixes problems BEFORE they affect users. Unlike Billy's swiss cheese OS. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 6502a