mac and xbox live

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DonkeyTron, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DonkeyTron macrumors member

Is it possible to turn my iMac G5 into a router. Right now my iMac is hooked is just hooked up to the wall but i can make it go wireless with airport. Here is what i want to do. I want to make my mac get wireless internet(already know how to do.) and then i want to put the ethernet cord from my xbox and run it from the back of my mac to my xbox. Will this work? And how would i go about setting up the sharing and such?

2. dethbunny macrumors newbie

"Sharing" preference pane

Connect everything exactly as you were talking - iMac to AirPort, and XBox via wired ethernet to the back of the iMac. Open the Sharing pref pane, and go to the "Internet" tab. It should be fairly self-explanatory from there. Select AirPort in the drop-down menu, and place a check-mark next to Built-In Ethernet in the list. Click Start, and you're done. You'll likely have to restart the XBox if it's already on for it to pick up the new network configuration.

3. duncandeath macrumors member

duncandeath

Hi

I have tried this set up but the xbox says it cannot find the DNS server thing.
    Any ideas how to get it going, I'm using a G4 powerbook with 10.3.9

4. garyfoote macrumors newbie

Xbox On Imac G5

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I have my airport connected to my router via ethernet which gives me the internet and i have used the ethernet cable from my xbox which is plugged into the back of my g5. I have gone to system prefs and clicked sharing and have clicked the airport and ethernet cable to be shared and have turned on the xbox but nothing happens. Can anyone help me???

5. Dzine4U macrumors newbie

This should work

Hello there I came across the same problem a few days ago and after a bit of searching and experimenting I got it working. The XBox 360 can't find your
    network settings automaticaly, so you have to set them manually, Here we go

On the xbox, set
    IP Configuration: Manual
    IP: 192.168.2.2
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router/Gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS Configuration: Manual
    Type "dig" in terminal.app and after a bunch of text scrolls by, you'll have a line starting with "SERVER" near the bottom, the IP address in that line is the DNS server your computer is using, so you can enter the same in the xbox settings.
    mine are
    IP : 192.168.1.1
    IP 2 : 192.168.1.1
    PPPoE Settings: Off
    Advanced: Automatic

Hope this works for you guys!
    :)