Mac apps crashing a lot

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solafaa, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

When i first got my mac i some apps would crash once every 2-3 months but now after Tiger Safari crashs 1-3 times a day, mail crash atleast once ever 1-2 days. Should i make a clean install? or repair.

Thank you

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try repairing permissions but I doubt it'll do heaps in this case.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Safari keeps crashing for me, almost exclusively when I use the Close tab function, and especially if I've been on a Site using questionably CGI programming. That seems to annoy Safari enough to crash it... :(

I would be a bit more worried if Mail kept crashing on me... that's not good... but I would wait for 10.4.2, to see if that solves your problems before reinstalling... ;)

4. cube macrumors G4

Tiger brittle

Safari RSS crashes easily, the latest Brickhouse crashes sometimes (something the old one on Jaguar didn't do)

5. ShopJockey macrumors newbie

Since Tiger, I have repaired permissions, run fsck -fy and the Mac Janitor once a week. STILL I have Acrobat 7, Indesign CS, Preview and the odd browser (Safari, Firefox) "Unexpectedly quit" with the option to Reopen, Close or Cancel happen to me at least once a day.
    A system with 2.5Gb of RAM and 2x2Ghz G5 processors would run better than this, had I have had a guess, but experience has proven otherwise.
    Waiting for 10.4.2 to see if ths BS clears up.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How'd you install Tiger, Solafaa? Upgrade or one of the archive/erase & install methods? It doesn't sound normal but with 10.4.2 so close to coming out, I'd be tempted to wait and see if it fixes anything before you spend time doing anything else. If not, I'd be tempted to do an Archive and Install, especially if you only upgraded to start with. It's usually the final solution from Apple Support anyhow so if you've tried the obvious without success, it might be worth a shot.

Incidentally, Safari RSS hasn't crashed on me yet (looking for some wood to touch) and I'm using it every day for 6 -8 hours with multiple tabs and feeds coming in.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For me, Safari seems to crash about once a week. I don't think Mail has ever crashed on me. I often get beachballs from MSN though, especially after pasting text into it. Tiger 10.4.1 is definitely less stable than Panther 10.3.8, but Panther 10.3.1 was probably just as bad :rolleyes:

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Am I the only one who seems to not have problems with Safari RSS? Safari has never crashed on me, and I use it very very much! I have Tiger for 3 weeks now, and I have had only 1 crash in safari, and even this was my fault!

9. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

What sort of 3rd party stuff do you have installed? What do your console and sys logs say? I still don't understand how so many can have so many crashing problems.

10. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Safari and other programs in Tiger crashed a lot until I undated Tiger to 10.4.1. I would recommend others do the same.

11. GFX macrumors newbie

Safari, Adium, System Preferences, MSN Messenger have all crashed on me repetedly I am actually typing this on my dad's PC because Safari wont even open for me. :( I had been useing shapeshifter but i disabled it and the problems are still occuring. Any ideas?

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I keep getting the unexpectedly quit messages all the time now since I have upgraded to tiger I have even gotten the " application Mac OS X has unexpectedly quit please restart your computer" more than a dozen times..

13. giffut macrumors 6502

If ...

... anyone of you was using Safari Enhancer and switched of Safari´s caching, do otherwise and revert to switch caching on. The RSS reader does not work properly without caching active and will very likely crash Safari. Also Safari itself behaves unstable and has lots of crashes without caching active.

14. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Some problems

I have not had any problems with Safari buthave had a heap of trouble with Microsoft Word and some infrequent problems with Preview. Word has gotten so bad it hangs at least twice a day. Thankfully it hangs so I can use grab.app to take a picture of the screen just in case I didn't save the last edits on the screen. But talk about crashing I recently bought (put together) my first XP Box and made a big mistake of plugging it into the ethernet without first putting on virus and adware software. That ordeal has made me appreciate my mac so much more everyday. I just wish some of these software developers would do more to get their software working on the mac, SPSS and ArcGIS are my only reasons for having to use an XP box.