Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the new MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar begin arriving to customers, Apple has updated the Mac App Store with a featured section highlighting a selection of Mac apps that have been updated with Touch Bar support.

Apple's list includes 14 apps that now work with the Touch Bar, like Day One, OmniGraffle 7, PocketCAS, Mail Designer Pro 3, Focus, and 1Password. Some of the apps, like Final Cut Pro and djay Pro, were previously shown off by Apple on stage when the MacBook Pro was announced.

macbookprotouchbarapps-800x498.jpg

The scope of Touch Bar support varies by app, but in many apps, once-buried settings and frequently used shortcuts are now available in the Touch Bar, allowing users to speed up their workflows. In djay Pro, for example, the Touch Bar can be used for full music manipulation, while in 1Password, it offers options for quickly adding or finding passwords.

One of the chief complaints in MacBook Pro reviews released today was the lack of support by third-party apps, but that should soon improve as developers finish updating their apps with Touch Bar compatibility.

Many apps, including popular titles like Pixelmator, Photoshop, Affinity Design, and Microsoft Office, will be introducing Touch Bar support in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Mac Apps Updated With Support for MacBook Pro Touch Bar

Last edited:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
This isn't fair to the people who memorized the arcane shortcuts or the location of deeply buried menu options. Now rank amateurs will be able to do things previously reserved for seasoned pros.

They shouldn't call this the MacBook Pro if it makes previously difficult things easy.
/s

Last edited:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Holding to my MBP 2015 for another 2 years. Wait for a revision of this MBP. Maybe by then a 32GB RAM and a elegant solution for dongle madness.

Reactions: NZP and DJ_S

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
You want even less ports?
Why would later versions have fewer ports? I guess they could get rid of the headphone jack. I don't think that would bother me.

I'm waiting, but mainly because I don't really need a new laptop at this time. A side benefit will be the availability of a greater variety of peripherals designed for Macs and PCs that use the USB-C cables and Thunderbolt 3 protocols.

Reactions: Azmodan79

MichaelQ

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
Dubbo, NSW
unfortunately some developers will have to waste time on programming this stupid bar when they could use their time working on great new apps

This will be great then for those old fart developers who had a "hit" 10 years ago and done nothing new since except roll out "upgrades" every year or so for ridiculous prices.

Reactions: Slix

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Holding to my MBP 2015 for another 2 years. Wait for a revision of this MBP. Maybe by then a 32GB RAM and a elegant solution for dongle madness.

No need to replace a perfectly good laptop. Would it really be an "upgrade" if you're getting by fine with max 16 GB right now? I doubt you even have that and your machine is working great. People complaining about the RAM limitation, a "lack" of ports, dongles, and the Touch Bar are just making noise. A serious look at the MacBook Pro shows that it's a top contender in performance. The AMD graphics are a huge boost over predecessors. Can't wait for all of the positive reviews to take over. :)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why would later versions have fewer ports? I guess they could get rid of the headphone jack. I don't think that would bother me.

I'm waiting, but mainly because I don't really need a new laptop at this time. A side benefit will be the availability of a greater variety of peripherals designed for Macs and PCs that use the USB-C cables and Thunderbolt 3 protocols.

He was being coy about the trend that Apple is reducing the number of physical ports with each iteration.

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Really???:rolleyes: Developers don't want to waste time developing touch bar buttons only available on one device.

Who would have thought that????

Apple get off your lazy arses and provide some unity in your product lines for once. Make a wireless keyboard with this feature, package it along with your forgotten desktops and put it in all of your laptops if you want adoption of this gimmick.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
He was being coy about the trend that Apple is reducing the number of physical ports with each iteration.
I see. But this has four USB ports, where the my current MBP only has two. The beauty is that any of them can be used for any function. On my current MPB, if I had devices plugged into both USB ports and I needed to plug another one in, the free SD card slot didn't help me at all. A small number of people might use all the different ports simultaneously, but having a single standard port X4 seems a lot more flexible.

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Apple is pushing HARD because they know that if this thing is not broadly and consistently adopted, it's going to be a-w-k-w-a-r-d.

Apple has committed to this stupid (no ports? c'mon) form factor for >5 years and they have now asked their developers to commit time and money to a stupid Emoji Bar.

The Emoji Bar can't turn out to be generally poorly adopted, because then it will sit there not doing anything for all that time reminding users and developers that Apple doesn't deal in real innovation anymore.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

It will be Apples new courage innovation.

2 TB4 ports and then introduce a TB4 -> 2 TB3/USB-C dongle! And then on the next next model one TB5 port to 2TB4 ports!

Need ports? just daisy chain your dongles!

Reactions: Detektiv-Pinky

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
because if they didn't - new owners would complain that none existed/feature was a gimmick

People who don't own one, and never will (because it has an Apple logo, no other reason), will still complain on online forums...

Also, the most important ones (Adobe and MSOffice) aren't on the AppStore, but they are getting it, tough...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.