Mac + ASDL..

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Falleron, May 25, 2003.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hi. I am looking into getting ADSL broadband here in the UK. I have heard reports that some ADSL modems dont work very well with Macs. Anyone had any experience?

Also, say I buy an ADSL modem now + then in 6 months a new faster ADSL service becomes available, will I be able to use my current modem, or do the newer, faster speeds require different hardware? Eg. I get a 512k connection + then decided to get a 1Mb connection. Would there be anything extra I would need to get the faster service?

Thanks

2. iGav macrumors G3

The way BT works.... things won't be getting faster for years fella.... :eek: :p :p

Other freelance designers I know have had no problems with ADSL modems with Mac's and this ranges from iMac G3's all the way through to Dual 1.42's....

BT are apparantly pretty good for the Mac, although stay away from Freeserve and NTL who suck egg's from chickens! Clara.net do a good deal...

Remember though BT holds all the ADSL lines, so it can sometimes be easier dealing directly with them, that way any problems arise you don't have a middle man to waste time!!

Not sure about the uprgrades though!

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I was thinking about going with BT anyway. Problem was that I am not sure which modem to buy (would like an ethernet modem so that I have the option of connecting some of my other computers.)

4. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

I have a 1mbit business connection with BT at the moment and the only time I had any problems was when the entire street was 3 feet under water.

I use a Netgear ethernet/router ADSL modem. I took about 3 minutes to get it up and running.

Whatever you do, do not use the USB modem that BT supply you, there is no way I know of to secure the connection like you can with ethernet.

BT will tell you that they don't support third party products but that has never been an issue with me !

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

How much was your Netgear router/modem? I have seen a D-Link ADSL modem (ethernet) for about £70. However, I really need a modem with a built in 4 port hub.

6. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

I have the DG814 which is roughly a £100 and does have a built-in 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub.

Check out the netgear site
    netgear website

7. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Cheers. Just put one on order (£106). Should be up and running on ADSL within a couple of weeks.