Mac Attack, OSX Crashing...Again

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Feb 11, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=169118&highlight=Mac+Attack

So you guys might remember my topic from about 3 weeks ago, stating how my G5 was crashing all the time on just random things, not anything heavy duty. Well on the board, we ran all different stuff, Ram Flush, fsck scan, utility scan, i have stock apple ram etc. and no go.

Well I took my PM to apple store and we finally just reformated the unit. (also to note, I recieved a new logic board about 2 months ago, due to a faulty firewire port)

Well all has been well in the OSX kingdom, untill last night.

Running iTunes, Adium and Safari, BAM! unit completly locks.
    2hrs later

Chattong on Adium, reading on this forum, ZAP! completly locks up :mad:

I dont have any plugis in my safari, i dont have any weird, illegal programs installed, i just dont know what the hell is going on with my baby :(

any clues, directions to go towards cause i feel like everything has been done that I can think of

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

reformat, if that doesn't work bring it to apple, could be logic board again.

seeing as you have gone through it before i wont give the basic things like permissions and pram and the such

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, ive just reformated in the last 2-3 weeks so it cannot be that. If i had some dynomite right now....G5...kaboom...Could it be my processor and not my board?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

call apple, let them know you have gotten the logic board replaced once and want to see if it is something else, due to the same symptoms occuring

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A hardware problem, almost without a doubt. Reformatting won't fix it. In fact, reformatting/reinstalling fixes virtually nothing.

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea. im gonna call and setup an appointment with a Genius Bar people asap. *sigh* this is just getting frustrating.

Thing too is, last time I took it to them, it always would lock up on me then (before the reformat) and of course im infront of him with a good hour and we open EVERYTHING, its running the 3D program, iTunes, Chess on hard, Motion, Safari, iPhoto, widgets, EVERYTHING is running and the computer just ran like a beast. would not lock up. :rolleyes: Finally, i was opening up tabs in safari that it froze i believe

but yea, ill take it to them and im sure the comp again weill pretend its a champ

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Run memtest on your Mac from versiontracker.com. It is a command prompt program with no GUI. I had one faulty 1 GB stick in my G5. I had 8 GBs in my G5 and I had to pull out all except for 2 to track down the bad one. It took a few hours to find the bad stick. I had many problems with crashes until I took out that bad memory.

Apple stock memory can go bad just like cheapy memory.

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    check the system logs and make sure you don't see any of these: IOATAController errors. That means you have a bad hard drive. So a reformat won't help with that at all...

9. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ill check my logs. ive already ran the memtest a few times and its found nothing :(

10. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

nope. nothing on logs. could this be a bad processor? Not motherboard but the processor itself?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's always possible, I had a bad processor once (several years ago, in a Windows PC, but still).

12. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hah w00t. Plot tickens

I take my unit to Apple (luckely same guy I had worked with before) and he put in my serial number of my G5 to verify that I had AppleCare and it came under a Susan (my name not being susan:D ) So we put in my name, then it showed I had the G5, serial code again, susan.

Then we look at where the original G5 Serial code was on and that registered but it was not the same as my motherboard....

This leads to when Unitek did my repair, they put in a used G5's motherboard when replacing my ethernet card and that board was registered to a Susan :eek: