Mac Attack, OSX Crashing left and right

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Dec 26, 2005.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, as you guys might have seen, before then I made a topic about OSX stability and widgets.

I havent turned on my Mac in about 3 weeks and today, I was finally on it. Ive done the latest installs about 2 days ago, when I heard about some new updates for FCP and such. So today, I turn her on, click on iTunes and Crashes, Black Screen comes up with saying I need to reboot. Well I do it and 3 more times, everytime iTunes opened up, system completly froze. Only thing I saw plugged in was my iPod and so I unhooked that and no longer crashed. (not even sure if it was coinsindence or what).

Now, tonight, ive opened about 10 diff. sites on Safari and my mac completly freezes and I gotta hold power and turn the unit off and on again.
    CNN, Facebook, Myspace, Apple, .Mac, IGN and so forth.

I dunno what the hell is going on...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What have you installed recently in terms of software and hardware? Is there third party RAM you can take out? Maybe try running fsck. Do you run any file sharing apps (P2P or bit-torrent)? :)

3. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Your sig says you're running 10.4.2. Why not upgrade to 10.4.3? It's the biggest improvement I've ever seen in a 0.0.1 of an Apple upgrade, and fixed lots of speed and stability problems that I'd had since installing Tiger.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

thats the weird part. My mac is mainly my work unit, minus pictures and Music (hence me not having reallly turned it on in 3 weeks)

I havent had any new software install latly at all
    all my programs are 100% legit
    I dont have a singal P2p or Torrent progy on the Mac (do on the pc)
    My ram is also straight from apple. :eek:

I am actually 10.4.3, I just need to update my sig (ill do it right now too actually)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, if you're not game trying fsck, then use Disk Utility to Verify the disk (not the disk permissions). It'll take a little while and it won't fix anything but it'll work out whether fsck is necessary. :)

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, ill actually run both. I got my tiger cd sitting around so ill run both. anything to resolve this. I swear, ive had so many issues sense going to Tiger. on Panther, my system was 100% stable, never had seen a crash, but from the time I got Tiger and then 2 weeks later I got Final Cut Studios, things have gone downhill fast.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't bother with the Tiger CD because there were some changes to fsck (or Disk Utility) in one of the minor updates (10.4.2 I think) so you may as well run the latest (fsck) rather than the version that was the latest when you bought the computer (OSX disks). :)

Also, don't bother verifying the disk from the start up drive if you're going to run fsck anyway.

If fsck comes up with nothing, then make a new account from System Preferences and see if things are better there. :)

8. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ok. I ended up running both fsck in the dos mode likelook hehe aka single layer? But that came up with everything was ok and I ran Disk Utility and everything said was right through that also.

just a minute ago, Adium and iTunes and Safari open, clicking on a site and BAM, music starts skipping over the same part so had to shut down the mac again....

you think doing the whole new account will actually help?

9. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Hi

I have had similar problems a while back and ran fsck and disk utility and neither picked up anything.

I used the 10.4.3 Combo updater and re ran it and all my problems seemed to have gone so far.

Also I have read alot about making a new account which also works and would be a good first step.

Rob

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

If you ask me, I think it was the CNN website, more rumors and speculation and lies on there than here......

I had the same problem with bad RAM that I bought, everytime my powerbook went to use it, it crashed. I think you already ruled that out though, and past that I'm not good for fixing....Best Wishes!!

11. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

whats this COmbo Updater? the only updates I dont have are for iPod Shuffle and 2 airport ones cause I dont own either of those 2 so fig. there was no point in updating them.

yea, the ram has been stock, ordered it with the unit from Apple so its their stuff.

12. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

14. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ok, so update on the situation. I even went into the Apple store near my place and I talked with the genius bar crew place. Guy was pretty helpful. Told me to delete my iTunes and Safari Pref. and I did and it seemed to be fine.

well ive been on my mac alot, just surfing and music and such and I believe ive narrowed it down to Safari just completly locking up every 10 websites I visit. Including this.

Ive done:
    The Whole Scan deal
    Ive done the combo installer
    ive installed iTunes seperatly
    ive installed quicktime sepertly
    ive deleted the old quicktime file
    ive delete both pref.

No go, the system will still while just surfing (without iTunes even open) completly freeze up.

any suggestions?

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So, what Safari plug-ins are you using? Does this happen if you use another browser like Firefox?

16. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

What the fsck did you do to your Mac!?!

17. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

just crashed on me 2 more times. Once one IGN and one on this site

I have no plugins what so ever. Can I delete safari and reinstall it?...

wow. how exciting. it just froze again.

w00t. 3rd update. now I had Adium, Widgets and Internet Explorer open and I clicked on iTunes, system completly locks up. Now I just have no clue what the hell is wrong with my Mac....Sadly my new PC hasnt had this much problem =/ although its only 5 months old and did have a worm 2 weeks ago...
    *sigh*

18. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

dont mean to kick this thread up...well I do lol but no suggestions on things I can do cause this makes no sense!!! :mad: :( :confused:

Edit:
    To test my account. I just made a new Admin account. I opened iTunes in my usuall admin account, then went to the new account.
    I had iTunes playing from sharing.
    I opened Safari and had 2 tabs open and I clicked on iChat. Then I went to make a new tab in Safari to browse another site and BOOM system locks up completly again. Cant move mouse or anything.

So again I have to completly shut off the computer and turn it back on. Weird part is, everytime it does the lock (atleast 4 times in the last 5hrs) that after I turn the sucker on again, it takes it longer then usuall to boot into the log in screen so just some more info on my situation

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Other then when the system crashes have you done any normal reboots to flush out the memory.

20. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well on nights that it dosent crash and I just turn it off, I will shut down my Mac and turn it back on in the morning so thats more or less like rebooting right?

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you get a Hardware Test CD with your Mac? I imagine you did. Start up from it (holding down C) and run the tests to see if it picks anything up. Hopefully it's just bad RAM (possible even if it was given to you by Apple). I hope it's not a failing logic board.

I guess the next step is reformatting and reinstalling the OS which is a pain in the neck but I'm running out of ideas. :eek:

Best of luck with it all, tell us what the Hardware Test CD comes up with. :)

22. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

umm..im guessing I have it. Would it be something I would look for with the original CD's that came with my G5 or would it be on Tiger that I bought a few months ago?

Also, Whats this Hold down C business.

Thanks as always Madjew :)

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'll have come with the original disks, not the Tiger ones. Later versions didn't come on their own CDs but were bundled onto the System Restore disk (usually a DVD) however I reckon you'll have a stand alone Hardware Test CD somewhere. You put it in the optical drive and then start up holding down C which makes the computer start from the disk rather than from the hard drive. Then it's simply a matter of following the prompts to run the tests.

Just out of interest, did you upgrade or do a clean install of Tiger? Good luck. :)

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow