Mac-bashers piss me off

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mfacey, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I've seen the vast number of stupid arguments why the mac mini is no-good on cnet.
    Earlier I was checking for an iLife '05 review on cnet. And what do you know... lots of dumb mac bashers making no sense at all!

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iLife__05/4852-5_7-31256908.html?tag=top&pn=1&fb=2&ob=0

One guy is saying that you should try picasa by Google because its better and free! uhm... yeah.... its windows only! Duh!
    I really wish these guys would give some well-supported critisism. Then I would maybe be able to take them seriously.

</rant> :rolleyes:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So write up your own review instead of letting the two anti-iLife ones stand alone there.

3. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

I love to but I haven't actually used iLife '05 yet. I only really use iPhoto (don't have a dig. video camera yet) so I'll be sticking to iLife '04 right now. Besides, there's another 20 or so positive reviews so that's good too. These two just annoyed me though!

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I don't worry too much about this mac bashers. They can continue using their crappy bug-ridden OS.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Exactly.

Uninformed criticism is worthless... not worth worrying about.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and lets not forget that cnet is hardly the place to go for any worthwhile computer or software reviews, cell phone and printers maybe, but when it comes to computing that site is terribly biased as are the people to tend to go there, i used to frequent their reviews, but now i find them in poor taste more oft than not and i almost forgot that they were still around

dont let that idiots get you down, you just have to ignore them, it gets easier after awhile

7. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Luckily everybody here will be on my side concerning this topic!

I agree completely though. Cnet is good for electronics reviews. TVs, and stuff like that. THere's way to much Dell sponsoring on that site for it to be unbiased in computers!

8. expergo macrumors regular

i think picasa organizes photos better than iphoto. plus, it autoupdates your folders as well which is a nice feature.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Too bad it's only for Windows, and therefore no competition for iPhoto because it's not Mac OS X compatible.

10. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

iPhoto NEEDS the ability let you store you photos in a different location, like iTunes. It should also let you import an image, without making a copy of the original copy (which is an option in iTunes). Both iTunes and iPhoto NEED autoupdating folders. A "Music directory" would be nice. Basically, a list of music files, and tags, but without the ratings. My brother and me share the same folder for music, so we can listen to the same music (same interests). However, if he imports some music, It would be great if it would auto-add it to my library. It's not the same as sharing a libarary file, because we have different playlists and ratings.

Also, it would be nice if iTunes looses the location of a file, you could point it at a folder, and it could scan that folder, and it's subfolders for the missing file (currently you need to tell it EXACTLY where that file is). It would be even nicer if it could work out where a file is, even with a changed file name. It could check ID3 tags or something.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm not a Mac basher, but I happen to LIKE my so-called "crappy bug-ridden OS". I also like my Mac mini. There is room enough for people to like BOTH Windows and the Mac, and neither operating system is perfect... they both have their flaws.

When you stoop to insulting Windows, you become no better than the Mac bashers on c-net.

12. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Windows can be bearable, even pleasent to use if you follow a few simple rules, and add some useful little things (ZoneAlarm, Firefox, GAIM)), and know the tricks. You can keep it quite safe and secure. Just keep everything up to date.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well said. :)

14. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

... which was sort of the reason the thread was started in the first place... :p

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It can - learn more about symbolic links and you will understand.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think the point is you shouldn't have to learn to "hack" the system to perform a basic function. It should be a simple, one click option from within the application preferences.

clayjohanson, I agree too. Good to see another balanced member floating around :)

Having said that, the people who wrote the two reviews that this thread is about, are talking out of their arse.

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I call it customizing ;) Ahhh, behold the power of UNIX

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehe, yeah, I know, it's not rocket science. But it's not something your new Mac Mini switcher will have the first clue about how to do.

19. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

True, but that switcher probably wouldn't have a need to "move" their music folder either - they are just "AOL users" anyway ;)

20. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

That is true too. That people just store things where they are told to store. Only knowledge able users decide to place their files in another folder. Like my parents, new to the mac, taking it up well. But they dont care where the music files get stored, as long as they show up in iTunes. They don't really care about changing any defaults like these.

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah man i hate Mac bashers...

as well as those Mac Zealots and PC bashers.

everyone's got to realise that a Mac and PC both have their places. most people probably think of Windows as a "crappy OS" because of all the security holes (fair enough. but if you knew how to properly administrate your system...) and because it seems to run like a dog. well after average Joe puts all his worthless useless apps full of spyware and virii on there, it's no wonder. but i've seen complete Mac newbs with a brand new iBook, and fresh install of OS X, and somehow they seem to get it trashed up real quick...

22. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Could you use this "switching" thing to, say have iTunes use the music and libarary currently stored on my WinXP box? Could it access it over SMB?

iTunes uses the same file on both platforms for storing music information, right?

23. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

I think what they meant by "switching" was the act of switching from being a windows user to being a mac user ;)
    see http://www.apple.com/switch/

You can access an itunes library on a local network. All you have to do is share you itunes library (its in the preferences somewhere) on you winxp machine and then tell itunes on your mac to search for other libraries on the network. Easy as that!

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think this is closer to the crux. Sure, I've taken hits from uninformed bashers over time, (surprisingly the most poignant from hostile tech people who've had to run my presentations), but I've also beat the drum for "both and", "inclusive" mindedness. That's why I'm trying to learn XP as well as Linux in order to bridge rather than isolate. Our whole family and offices are outfitted with Apple machines, and we have answers for why. But bashing by any other name is still old school, regardless of the direction from which it comes.
    X

25. Disko macrumors newbie

Exactly. I like to think of it as digital darwinism. :cool: