Mac Basics for burning a cd/dvd ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BilltheCat, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Yes I have read the search files and frankly nothing close enough to answer my questions was found. so here it is folks!

If I want to save program dmg's or songs or whatever files I would save to a CD to save the expense of a DVD I suppose. what cd? CD-r Cd+r CD-+RW what? does it make much difference? what does the superdrive like?

If I am making a music cd for the car I would not use a DVD but a cd I suppose yes? I have no clue if +r -r would make any difference.

For backups a DVD would hold more and make more sense I think. Does DVD have +r -r etc caveats?

So I Guess I just desire a darn chart telling me when you use what media. anyone see one of those around?

Thanks!:D

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't know about a chart, but try this: CD +- R should all act the same; in fact, I'm not entirely sure there's such a distinction among burnable CDs. If you're burning an audio disc, you want to use a CD (+/-R should be irrelevant). Use iTunes to burn music discs.

As for data backup, yes, you want to use DVDs because their capacity is far superior to CDs (4.7GB vs 700MB). There are some minor gotchas to DVD+R vs DVD-R, but if you're not playing them in a DVD Player, I doubt you'll run up against them. So buy whatever is cheaper :)

As for what a SuperDrive likes, depending on what Mac you have, SuperDrives with burn CD+/-R, CD+/-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, and DVD+R DL. SuperDrives will burn just about everything short of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD at this point.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If this is the iMac in your sig, then it won't matter if you use CD+R or CD-R it will only make a difference if it is on an older machine then it may only support -. for backups you should use DVDs. For music in a car you should use a cd not a DVD, for this I don't think that +/-R will make a difference but if you aren't sure use -R, as that will be more compatible with older drives.

4. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Thanks all. Makes sense to hear you explain it that way.

Thanks!

5. boness19 macrumors member

i got a file i want to burn

i got a imac 17' screen and my imac got a built cd burner and does not have a dvd burn because it cost to much.

so i am saying that how can i burn a program to a blank cd

asap

like for example i want to save my imovie project into one cd that all i am asking

i work hard on it

6. nooral1 macrumors newbie

in idvd can i make a menu for my video like the tv seires did