Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
As you might know, I've been busy reorganizing the Mac Beginner's Guide and have been adding a lot of new stuff. It's almost finished now from the content pov but there still are a lot of empty links, especially to a lot of guides.
I'm going to tackle some of them in the next 1-2 weeks but I cannot do them all. I'd appreciate it a lot if there'd be some people willing to help with those guides and fill in the holes of the empty links.
You can see the missing ones in red: Mac Beginner's Guide

Thanks for all who have helped with the guide and those willing to help more. :)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Artful Dodger said:
That looks great, this will be very nice for people to read/learn from as a big thanks is in order ;) :D

Thank you. I am still working on the guides that I linked to and if I have to do them all by myself it will take a while but it should help a lot of people already as it is. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm.. diatribe, you mind if I move the "This article is based on forum post" off or perhaps at the bottom of the guide?

I don't like that template in general... find it very distracting.

arn

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
arn said:
I don't like that template in general... find it very distracting.

Is it the idea behind the template that you don't like, or just its appearance/prominence?

If it's the latter, it does appear to stand out a bit. Moving it to the bottom of articles sounds like a good idea, other than that are there any changes to the template itself that you'd suggest? Do you prefer the original version (without the colours or logo)?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
HexMonkey said:
Is it the idea behind the template that you don't like, or just its appearance/prominence?

If it's the latter, it does appear to stand out a bit. Moving it to the bottom of articles sounds like a good idea, other than that are there any changes to the template itself that you'd suggest? Do you prefer the original version (without the colours or logo)?

;) I added it back to the bottom.

I think it's distracting at the top... and ends up bringing too much attention to an old version of the page. I think the logo-less version might be better, to give credit but also let you read past it more easily.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I changed the template back to the simpler one and added it back to the top of the beginner's article.

thoughts?

arn

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Looks good to me. It's unobstrusive enough to not draw too much attention to the old post. I like it.

Btw, to avoid just that confusion I already had edited my old post to reflect that the thread is basically dead.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mainstreetmark said:
The day you were working on it showed something like 15 sequential changes to that article. I assumed you were making a change, saving it, reviewing it, then editing it again, versus just previewing it.

Yeah, the thing was that I was at work that day on a ****** Windows PC. Since I had some time in between meetings and didn't want it to be lost due to a crash, I edited in spurts. Some of these were screw-ups though, you're right.

whiteangel777

macrumors member
May 11, 2007
Germany
hello,

would it be possible to make a pdf from all these guides? I`m not able to be online all the time. downloading all these things would make it easier for some.

whiteangel

PS: the idea and the hole guide is a realy great. thx.

poushag

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
I will try to help as soon as I get credit for my 5th posting. I would really like to see a guide helping folks who have switched from PC. I think my biggest pet peeve is still the home/end key behavior. I am hoping under Leopard that I can finally get all the apps to cooperate with DoubleCommand reconfiguring home/end to be line home/end instead of document home/end. (I think possibly the carbon apps lingering under Tiger are not compatible with it.)

BioCore

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I really like this guide! Since I am new to the Mac world, it really helped me out a lot in understanding how some things work and getting to know some shortcuts (I love using keyboard shortcuts a lot!). Thanks a lot Diatribe!:D

Jules22

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
can someone help? PLEASE

K i am having so much trouble figuring out how to use this mac rumors site, and i have a question that i would love to have addressed. I just got a new ipod nano (the one that plays movies). I previously owned the first version of ipod nano and now trying to start-up my new ipod I get stuck in the terms and agreemant page in itunes and for some reason even though i click that i agree with the terms and conditions it will not go on to the other page to register my new ipod. can u please tell me if this is because i still have my old ipods itunes on the computer, or if my page in itunes is just not showing me all i need to see for registering? PLEASE someone help i have had my ipod for 2 days and cannot get any tunes on to it. u can email me at shag_jewels@hotmail.com. thanks in advance!

colercoaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
NH
This guide has helped out a bunch. Thank you so very much for taking the time and putting it together. I'm a recent convert from the world of Gates, glad to be no longer fenced in :)

Once again, thank you.

madcat2

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Trying to stream Sirius Radio

I am brand new to iMac and am swimming through mounds of new information. I'd like to stream Sirius Radio, and I am told by its site that I need to attach "application/x-mplayer2" Does anyone know how to do this?:confused: If I'm not in the right thread, maybe someone could direct me. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.