Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christinafanjin

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
wuhan
beginner

This is the first time that I have ever sent my post ! If any one would like to guide me in using mac rumors .I 'd like to accept !:eek:

macla

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
As you might know, I've been busy reorganizing the Mac Beginner's Guide and have been adding a lot of new stuff. It's almost finished now from the content pov but there still are a lot of empty links, especially to a lot of guides.
I'm going to tackle some of them in the next 1-2 weeks but I cannot do them all. I'd appreciate it a lot if there'd be some people willing to help with those guides and fill in the holes of the empty links.
You can see the missing ones in red: Mac Beginner's Guide

Thanks for all who have helped with the guide and those willing to help more. :)

great, that definitely helpful to newbie like me. :)

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
First, thanks for the Beginner's Guide and for this thread Diatribe.
So, this is the best place I can think of to post this question before I start a new thread. My situation is I just ordered an new 17" Penryn MBP High-Res matte. My question (which I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread about before, but can't seem to find it) is what are all the things I need to check to make sure my computer is in proper order before the 14 day return period is up?
And thanks!

EDIT: The thermal paste issue is one I'm pretty concerned about especially considering I'm not particularly tech-minded and would be very afraid to take apart my computer.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Your best bet is to open a new thread if you want more opinions but in any case the only thing I always check is for dead pixels. The rest is not necessary IMO.
The new Penryns don't get that hot anyway so you'll be ok.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Thanks Diatribe. I might consider starting a thread after doing a little more searching. I've heard the Penryn MBPs are supposed to run cooler. However on this thread I notice particularly in posts 218 and 220:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5192334/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5193260/
that even the Penryns seem to run hot albeit cooler than the Meroms apparently. On the other hand I'm not sure what arbitrary/ideal temp the people on that thread are expecting their MBP to run at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.