Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
Ferrence said:
I was writing to inquire about the Mac Black screen of death that makes me shut down my computer every other day (sorry if this topic has been addressed already). I am running Tiger 10.4.2 on a 15” Powerbook 1.5 Ghz PowerPC G4.

The error prompt reads something like, “You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Restart button for several second…”

Now, luckily I’m a constant “saver” and hardly lose any info. But the process of shutting down my computer is growing old. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks,
Ferrence

:( RAM RAM RAM

Run fsck in single user mode :cool:

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mkrishnan said:
Is it just me or ... hmmm... what? :eek: fsck checks the integrity of the filesystem and not the RAM. ;)

In my limited experience.......every time I had bad RAM, the file system got all screwed up....so I always run fsck. Better yet, Disk Warrior! :cool:

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mkrishnan said:
Is it just me or ... hmmm... what? :eek: fsck checks the integrity of the filesystem and not the RAM. ;)

Had a brain fart.......

After I install good RAM...then......fsck.

That was what I was trying to say.

:cool:

Ferrence

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Just another update on my situation...

Okay, when I last posted, my computer was shot! It wouldn't boot up at all. Even with the Tiger disk in and Ctrl+Alt+R+P depressed. So, I took a trip to my local Apple Store here in Minneapolis.

After 2+ hours up at the Apple Store, everything seems to be working fine. Knock on wood. Apparently, I had MAJOR hard drive damage. The tech said, "Jeez" and "Oh my, this is bad" several times. But after running "Disk Warrior" and re-installing Tiger, things seem to be back to normal. He said it was likely caused by LimeWire (a program SOMEONE MUST HAVE LOADED ONTO MY COMPUTER). He said that it corrupts the sh*t out of your hard drive. Needless to say, I've permanently deleted it from this laptop.

However, I still have the same lower memory slot issues (it's not reading the lower slot). The tech put the original 512 that came with the computer in the top slot and it worked just fine (he did all of the above just using that). He said that we would try one thing at a time. Then, another tech came on duty and took over. Suspicously, he took my laptop into the back to install the 512 in the lower slot (he came back and said it was fine). Then, took my 1 Gig stick(that was on the counter in front of me), went back into the back and put it in the top slot. When he returned with my PowerBook, I checked the "About this Mac" and it read, "1.5 GB DDR SDRAM." So, I powered down and returned home. Low and behold, when I started back up it read only, "1 GB DDR SDRAM." Fishy.

I am thankful that the tech was able to rebuild my HD, but I wish Apple would fix the Lower Memory Slot problem that some of us are experiencing.

Sorry for the novel,

Ferrence

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.