Mac bluescreen of death?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Le Big Mac, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I have a (really old) PowerMac 7500, with a G3 upgrade, and the awful Apple 15" multiscan monitor.

Anyway, of late the screen turns blue--I can still read it, but it has a strong blue cast. It lasts for 5 seconds to a couple of minutes, but then switches back.

I'm guessing it's something in the video board. I've tested the connections, so it's not a loose cable.

Any thoughts on the source of the problem?

Man, I need some iMac or PowerMac updates to come soon . . .

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well, i'm no expert, but i've had monitors do this with both red and green, it was generally a first step towards monitor failure. i think it's just a worn-out tube or something... you might look into finding a cheap replacement to hold you out...

just consider yourself lucky you're not using an all-in-one :)

pnw

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Re: Mac bluescreen of death?

good luck. apple is only waiting on moto. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, looks like we'll be waiting forever.

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Do you know anyone with a computer who would let you bring your machine over and test it on their monitor? This would determine which piece has the problem.

Dan

5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

This sounds like a good idea.

Swap the monitor and the videocard. And pinpoint the problem. It doesn't sound like a software issue.

That's what I have done when my "digital" Cinema Display was giving me screen noises. That particular one was the videocard problem.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The luck is all mine, mine will not boot up for anything.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Re: Mac bluescreen of death?

<rolleyes> Ahem. They're waiting on IBM now, and we know how long they're going to wait. The PowerPC 970 comes out within a year (still too long imo, but not forever). Also, the 7457 should be out any time now (Q2 2003 iirc).