Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
i just got my replacement macbook adapter and it still whines like crazy...the whine only takes place when the book is charging and gets louder depeding on what batter level it is charging from (the lower the louder). I guess this is just normal behaviour? anyone else have this with their macbook? also its worth mentioning that the whinning frequency changes for a second when you open an application and when scrolling you can hear a statitcy type sound...uhg its annoying.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no, it's not normal behavior. My MB whines :rolleyes: but the adapter is silent, as are all the others I've seen. Get it exchanged again!

clasicks

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
my adapter whines, should i get a replacement. i kind of crackles and hums, rather odd.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
clasicks said:
my adapter whines, should i get a replacement. i kind of crackles and hums, rather odd.

yea it crackled especially when i scroll a window or open an application

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Mine buzz's if I stick my ear up to it. I found I can get rid of the buzz by not sticking my ear up to it.
:p

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Out of curiosity, I checked my G4 mini's power adapter, and sure enough it produces a similar buzzing/crackling sound. It's not as loud, and the mini doesn't produce the accompanying CPU whine (since it's not a Core Duo), but it's been running fine since January of 2005 without a problem. I'd imagine, then, that the whining/buzzing adapters for the MacBooks aren't really a problem unless they get really loud, or really hot. Kind of makes me wish they would've made the power adapter a bit longer/larger to allow for better heat dispersal, but oh well...

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
is this whinning in the brick? or like in the macbook where the charger plugs in..

Because mine was fin for the first week, but now i notice a bit of a signal when i change, and its coming from the top left corner of the keyboard, right where the charger plugs in.. is this the whine in question?

ebayhelp

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
i think this problem is due to that fact that your houses need more groudning

samething happened to my ibook g4

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah I have this issue too with both of my adapters--going to the store and get a replacement for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.