Mac Book Hard drive question?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SJK123, May 22, 2006.

1. SJK123 macrumors member

I am thinking about picking up a Macbook as my first Apple. I will use iTunes MS Office and the web. My concern is about the HD size. My iPod alone is a 30 GB although I am only currenntly using about 15. I may want to partition it to use XP also that would be another 15-20 MB. That would leave me with 25-30 GB for OS X and apps. If I fill up my iPod I would only have 15MB for OS X and Mac apps. Do you all think that would be adequate?

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

No way.
    My the base OS X install is around 17GB. After removing excess languages, Apple/GB loops, iDVD themes, printer drivers and applications that i have no need for i believe i came close to 8GB.

The 60GB HD is 55.9GB after formatting, so you are looking at 47.9GB max free space after formatting and doing a custom install of OS X. Subtract 15GB from that (for your audio) and you have 32.9GB free. Remember, this is with no other documents other than the OS and your audio. You still need to factor in the partition size, size of Win XP, VM size for both partitions (at least 5GB each) and then room for documents from other computers that you may want to copy over, applications you wish to install and documents that you will create in the future.

To sum up, get a bigger HD.:p