Mac Book Pro´s firewire port is burnt out :S

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mc Pavel, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Mc Pavel macrumors member

Dec 24, 2005
    Hello :apple: guys!

A month ago i burnt out my macbook pro´s firewire port when i connected it to an external hdd. I guess this was caused by a bad firewire cable.
    I will of course send the computer for repair but now i have to to finish my video project and really need a working firewire port. Yesterday i purchased a Belkin F5U506 expresscard/34 with 1 usd & 2 firewireports The expresscard´s usb port works fine but the firewire ports are not working :S.
    I connected both my external hdd and miniDV camcorder to the expresscard and they are not recognised by the macbook pro.
    I think its a bit weird that the usb port is working while 2 firewire ports not.
    Do you have any suggestions? Has somebody tried this expresscard on macs?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan
    Belkin's Firewire 800 ExpressCard has terrible reviews on Amazon. Apparently it just doesn't work.

I suspect their Firewire 400 card, the one you have, is the same.
  3. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    USB and Firewire usually use different controllers, which may explain why one works and not the other.
  4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    I have the FW800 Belkin ExpressCard with my 15" MBP and it works great. No problems whatsover.

Maybe because your original firewire port is burnt, it burned something else on the logic board? Could that be possible? I'm not sure.
  5. Mc Pavel thread starter macrumors member

Dec 24, 2005
    Im not excluding this alternative :eek: :confused:
    Does anyone else think the same? Could it be possible that not only the original firewire port on the logic board was burnt (maybe the expresscard port was also burnt ?:confused: :confused: :confused: )
  6. Mc Pavel thread starter macrumors member

Dec 24, 2005
    After about 10 restarts the expresscard´s firewireports began to function :eek:
    Mysterious card :rolleyes:
  7. bentsimon macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2006
    Same here!

I have EXACTLY the same problem. I'll try a few restarts like you, as I desperately need to get this working...

Will let you know how it goes.. :confused:
  8. spikeymikey macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2008
    Here Too!

I have the exact same issue too. Has anyone tried the F5U506 on a mac book pro that doesn't have a burnt out firewire port? If you still get free apple phone support, will somebody please call and share the results after?