mac book pro or powerbook for film HD and desktop publishing?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JennyJen, Aug 16, 2006.

1. JennyJen macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone! I need advice regarding macbook pros and powerbooks. I've been trying to hold out for the new apple hardware, but am sorry to say that I can't wait much longer. I need a laptop that will allow me to run final cut pro HD, photoshop, flash, aftereffects, and indesign (not all at the same time). I was planning on getting a couple of external hard drives along with the laptop for storage. I need speed, but more importantly - reliability.

Should I buy a powerbook, use it briefly, and then buy a new one later (since it does not have intel).
    OR
    Should I go ahead and buy a Macbook pro, that may stick around for a couple more years?

According to this site, Macbook pro's are not recommended to buy. I believe this has to do with the new intel and mac software changes.

Thank you for your time!

2. shecky Guest

shecky

i do exactly that now on my TiBook, and while its not fast, it certainly works fine.

3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

The Macbook Pros are more future proof and final cut runs really well on it. Adobe apps aren't intel native yet but they run ok and once they are available as UBs they'll fly on the MBP as well. Also, there are rumors that a new MBP will be coming out soon and if that rumor materializes you'll have a bit more trouble trying to sell your powerbook.

4. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Today Adobe CS2 flt like it was running natively on my MBP of course it wasn't but it sure was fast.