Mac Book Pro sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fjs08, Nov 19, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    Just picked up a new Mac Book Pro (MBP) this week. With my old Ti-Powerbook, I had my external speakers plugged in and when I started up the Mac in the morning, the sound automatically came through the speakers. With the new MBP, default seems to be the computer. I need to go to SystemPreferences/Sound/Output and "move" the Output Volume button to change the sound source. How can I make the external speakers the "default" source??
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. My MBP's startup chime will always come through the built-in speakers, which is different from every other mac I've had. However, once booted, sound comes through the external speakers, as they should.
  3. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    I've noticed that my bootup chime varies in volume. Sometimes its really quiet..sometimes its loud. it seems arbitrary to what volume it chooses. Any ideas? is this "normal"? the computer works fine and the speakers are not blown.
  4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    Humm, mine doesn't vary, it just comes through the computer speaker and not the external speakers.