Mac Book Pro vs.. this new LAP TOP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garden Knowm, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

Sooooo... there is this fantastic MACBOOK PRO DUAL CORE DUO coming out... maybe even tomorrow..

ohhhhh I am so excited cause I am going to go out and buy it the first day!!!

Now can somebody please explain to me what I am waiting for.. Can somebody explain why I am locking myself in my house so I don't go and accidentaly by a MAc Book Pro ( cause I sold my power book today and feel emty without a lap top!!!)..

WHY am I waiting for this NEW LAPTOP..

what is so much better about it...

I am a heavy FCP and Motion user..

iloveyou

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'll probably be marginally faster under heavy strain and during benchmark testing. That's why you're waiting for the new model.

3. Surf and Turf macrumors regular

It could be that you want something that you can't have. Your not alone. If this is some type of ingenious marketing scheme..... it's working.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well Garden Gnome, it's not a dual core duo, it's a Core 2 Duo - still 2 processing cores but a tad faster and 64bit.

Wanna know more? Look up "Merom" in the guides.

And keep your Caps Lock key under control.

Maybe a nice cold glass of Calm Down wouldn't go astray. :p

And I don't think it will come out tomorrow, nobody knows any more than this:

It will be based on the Core 2 Duo processor. Anything else is speculation and should not be used to make a purchasing decision.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It will have iLife 06 installed, along with the iWork 06 demo. Upon startup, it will smell like nothing you can imagine. It will be able to run Office at exactly the same speed as any previous Mac, right down to the original G3s. It will look very pretty at first, but will slowly accumulate scrapes and scratches. The screen will be bright, the keys will glow and the AirPort reception will be mediocre. It will be bundled with two versions of Disk Utility (one on the hard drive and one on the OSX discs), both of which will be able to repair permissions more efficiently than any Mac before it. Of course, avoid the temptation to repair your permissions from the OSX disc, if you can. I know I sometimes can't help but do a quick repair from there. It'll take you places your signature can't even dream of.

This is all fact. I read it on a photo of an as-yet unreleased MacBook Pro manual, taken inside an elevator.

6. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

The ONLY reason I'm waiting is to maximise the chances of an improved machine (not a faster processor or anything) just a clean, less bug riddled portable.

There is no guarantee of course a revB machine will have less issues than the RevA's - but it's possible...perhaps even probable I feel.

You never know there may be a Wednesday release of something? :)?

7. Garden Knowm thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello Mr. Chundles

It is KNOWM.. : )

Thank you for the MEROM lead.. it is the BRAIN candy I was looking for... still over my head .. I need you to spoon feed me ..

CORE 2 DUO processor.. as opposed to what is out now ... just a plain old
    core DUo processor.. is this correct?

what does the 2 stand for?

iloveyou

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I know it's "Knowm" but it just looks weird.

Core 2 Duo is the second generation of the "Core" line of processors. The upcoming four-core range of processors will be called Core 2 Quad, a new architecture in the future may be called Core 3 Duo or Core 3 Quad or whatever, the 2 just signifies the generation. It's confusing because the original Core Duo (Yonah) isn't actually a Core processor.

I'm not going to spoon feed you, it's annoying. So annoying.

9. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

it'll hopefully have the ability to install 4gb of ram.

10. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

an easily switchable h.d. (a la m.b.) is something to wait a few weeks for

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

12. reflex macrumors 6502a

Why isn't a Core Duo a Core processor?

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Because it's not based on the Core architecture. Core Duo (Yonah) is based on the Pentium M.

Core processors are based around the Merom chip. Desktop (Conroe) and Workstation (Woodcrest) processors use the same Core architecture as Merom but have faster clock and bus speeds and put out more heat - but that's OK because they're not designed for use in portable computers.

I think Garden Knowm is an alias and is deliberately posting like a 13 year old high on coke and strung out from days playing World of Warcraft to prove a point.

Either way he's annoying.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

He amused me.

15. Garden Knowm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but your cool.. your from BC.... speaking of which.. I'd like to come up and film your garden...?

can I do that?

cheers