mac book questions and imac g5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 4leaf, Apr 6, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    hi all

im from ireland and in 3 months im moving to new zealand
    i have an imac g5 isight and an ibook g4.
    im going to be selling my ibook cos i need the cash and it doesnt burn dvds.very important for the course im going to be doing in nz.
    i really wanna bring my imac as i only got it b4 christmas. but how will i get it over there?has anyone ever moved a machine like this that far?id be so afraid of it getting damaged!

so my options are 1) bringing it with me somehow?
    2) making a friend swap his powerbook g4 with my imac till i get back
    3) or sellign my imac and ibook and buying a second hand pbook
    4) or sell the imac and ibook and buy a mac book pro...thing is will the final cut and other programs i have work with it?i heard because of the intel chip all software has to be bought again?is this true?

can anyone help?
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    Do you have the box the iMac G5 came in? Obviously, since Apple ships these computers in these boxes, they are made for global shipping/transport. You could FedEx the box to where you will be unless you want to try and get it on a plane. However, I know none of the flying rules when it comes to desktops; someone else will have to comment on that.

I would say to hang on to your iMac and figure out a transport method.
  3. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    You could also ask in the marketplace (You'll need 100 posts first.) or look on eBay for an empty iMac G5 box. My box is in good condition and I use it every time I move my iMac. It's just missing the UPC. :D
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    i have the original box, i just used it to move house...would it be mad to ship it over, wouldnt it get damaged?
  5. j26
    macrumors 65816

Mar 30, 2005
    Maybe sell 'em both and get an imac over there?

a 17" iMac costs €1,200 (€1,600 for the 20") on the Aussie website, and you should get some off for the educational discount. Dunno about the software - you might have to buy some.

It would probably cost a good few quid to get it shipped over, and it might just be cheaper to get it over there.

If you are considering selling the G5, PM me. I might possibly be interested.